A review of the paleo cookbook, Well Fed including the chocolate chili.
You guys remember this chocolate chili stuffed squash? Remember how I called myself a cheater since the chili recipe wasn’t mine and I basically gave you a recipe on how to cook squash and a link to the chili recipe and called it a day? Well, cheating was a good idea because Melissa, who created the delicious chili recipe, happened to read that post (see…good things come to those who link to the original source! sorry-huge pet peeve there) and got in touch with me about a potential review & giveaway of her cookbook, Well Fed. Without trying to sound like soooo cool (because I’m not), I get emails every day from companies, PR firms and random other spammy sounding sources constantly trying to get a blogger on the hook to do a review of whatever they’re pushing. My most recent was sunglasses. Because obviously, that’s what this blog is about. Um, delete. So it was nice to finally say “yes!” without hesitation. Well Fed had actually been on my list of cookbooks to buy anyway after hearing rave upon rave review of the paleo recipes in it.
I totally get that this is like the worst giveaway timing. It’s too late to be considered a Christmas present and I’m posting this on the weekend leading up to Christmas when there’s probably all of 3 people reading this while the rest are schlepping through the mall. At least I know the winner will get to keep it for themselves and be a dedicated reader I guess? Ha.
If you follow me on instagram then you’ve seen that I’ve made quite a few of the recipes from this book already. I actually took the time to read it from front to back before cooking anything because there’s quite a bit of good information up front before Melissa even gets into the recipes. From basics on the paleo way of eating to guidance on food shopping and meal prep in order to be successful eating this way to paleo pantry essentials and even some basic “hot plate” ideas which aren’t really recipes as much as they are pairing ideas for those nights you don’t want to follow a “recipe” and would rather just throw something together real quick. It’s a great balance between a paleo reference book and a cookbook.
I’ve made all the recipes in those photographs (as well as others) and I kid you not when I say two of them were life changing (the others were stellar too).
1. Citrus Carnitas. You guys know my very well documented love of carnitas. I think it might actually be my “last meal” dish of choice. So I was psyched to try this version out and even more excited when I realized I had 3.65 pounds of pork butt in my freezer just waiting to be carnita-fied. The method and directions will totally have you second guessing the outcome (she likens the process to watery meat soup and it’s spot on) but in the end all I can say is OMFG. Yes, the F is necessary. They will rock your world. And then you’ll end up eating 3.65 pounds of pork butt in the span of 6 days and be totally disgusted with yourself. It’s fine, it’s worth it. I promise.
2. Mashed Cauliflower. Sounds basic right? It is, but up until this recipe I’ve never been a fan of the faux-potato approach with cauliflower. This is the recipe that changed that. It’s simple, it’s ready in a matter of minutes and it’s got an awesome flavor profile that manages to give mashed cauliflower it’s own identity instead of standing in the shadows of the big bad white potato.
I think a lot of people hear the term “paleo” and think “boring”. Like they’re going to be forced to eat steamed vegetables and lean proteins with no flavor or something for every meal. But it totally doesn’t have to be that way. I love that every recipe in this book is relatively simple but the flavor combinations take whatever the main ingredient is over the top. Whether you eat paleo or not, the recipes are delicious and approachable and everyone can use a cookbook like that on their shelves!
So you want a copy now?
The Giveaway: US & Canada residents only. The giveaway will be open until Monday, December 24th at midnight (just call me Santa). One winner will be chosen randomly and emailed. Winner will have 48 hours to respond otherwise a new winner will be chosen. Giveaway is now closed.
Mandatory Entry: Leave a comment telling me what paleo food you most want to try.
Additional entries (leave a comment for each):
- Become a fan of Running to the Kitchen on Facebook
- Share this post on Facebook
- Follow Running to the Kitchen on Twitter
- Share this post on Twitter
*Disclaimer: I was given a copy of Well Fed for review. The opinions expressed are my own.