This asparagus tomato salad is bursting with bright lemon flavor. Topped with sharp parmesan and fresh basil it’s the perfect way to ring in the spring season.
*This Lemony Shaved Asparagus Tomato Salad was originally published on 3/12/2012. The recipe and photographs have been updated, all the content below remains original. This is a great salad to welcome in the spring season. The roasted tomatoes bring a touch of sweetness while the lemon flavor keeps things bright and light. A touch of sharp parmesan on top pairs beautifully with the delicate asparagus shavings. Now, if it’d stop snowing here in NY maybe I could actually get excited for all things spring this year!
It’s Sunday afternoon, we’re wandering through a new local grocery store and standing smack in the middle of the meat section mesmerized by the fact that they actually have decent cuts of meat to choose from and *gasp* grass fed, organic options!
I try to convince Ulysses we need a $32 organic T-bone steak the size of my head before we both get completely overwhelmed, grab a more moderately priced skirt steak instead and walk away.
Two minutes later, Ulysses says “man, I could really go for some Five Guys now. I kinda want a burger after seeing all that meat.”
It’s 2pm, I’m starving.
This is what happens after you house a cheeseburger, free peanuts, half an order of large fries and sips of your husband’s Mr. Pibb.
A lemon filled asparagus tomato salad or, how to get rid of your guilt trip. It goes by either name.
If you’ve never tried asparagus raw, I highly suggest you jump on that train now because there’s a pretty short window when it’s fresh and crisp enough to do that.
With lemon, olive oil and some shaved parmesan, it’s the definition of a refreshing spring dish.
Between this and a 4 mile walk (with hills!), I’m choosing to pretend like Five Guys never happened.
Love this lemony shaved asparagus tomato salad recipe?
- 1 large bunch of asparagus, woody ends trimmed off
- 8 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- parmesan cheese, shaved using a vegetable peeler for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place tomatoes on a baking sheet and toss with 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Roast for about 10 minutes, shaking the pan a couple of times until tomatoes are just starting to burst.
- Meanwhile, trim the tops of the asparagus spears and set aside. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the remaining part of the spears to get thin shavings of asparagus.
- Place the shaved asparagus and asparagus tops in a large bowl with the roasted tomatoes and chopped basil.
- Whisk together the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing into the bowl and gently toss to combine.
- Plate the salad and top with a few shavings of parmesan cheese.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 204 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 22mg Sodium: 541mg Carbohydrates: 17g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 9g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 9g