This asparagus tomato salad is bursting with bright lemon flavor. Topped with sharp parmesan and fresh basil it’s the perfect way to ring in the spring season.
*This Lemony Shaved Asparagus Tomato Salad was originally published on 3/12/2012. The recipe and photographs have been updated, all the content below remains original. This is a great salad to welcome in the spring season. The roasted tomatoes bring a touch of sweetness while the lemon flavor keeps things bright and light. A touch of sharp parmesan on top pairs beautifully with the delicate asparagus shavings. Now, if it’d stop snowing here in NY maybe I could actually get excited for all things spring this year!
It’s Sunday afternoon, we’re wandering through a new local grocery store and standing smack in the middle of the meat section mesmerized by the fact that they actually have decent cuts of meat to choose from and *gasp* grass fed, organic options! I try to convince Ulysses we need a $32 organic T-bone steak the size of my head before we both get completely overwhelmed, grab a more moderately priced skirt steak instead and walk away.
Two minutes later, Ulysses says “man, I could really go for some Five Guys now. I kinda want a burger after seeing all that meat.”
It’s 2pm, I’m starving.
This is what happens after you house a cheeseburger, free peanuts, half an order of large fries and sips of your husband’s Mr. Pibb.
A lemon filled asparagus tomato salad or, how to get rid of your guilt trip. It goes by either name.
If you’ve never tried asparagus raw, I highly suggest you jump on that train now because there’s a pretty short window when it’s fresh and crisp enough to do that.
With lemon, olive oil and some shaved parmesan, it’s the definition of a refreshing spring dish.
Between this and a 4 mile walk (with hills!), I’m choosing to pretend like Five Guys never happened.
Lemony Shaved Asparagus Tomato Salad
This asparagus tomato salad is bursting with bright lemon flavor. Topped with sharp parmesan and fresh basil it's the perfect way to ring in the spring season.
- 1 large bunch of asparagus, woody ends trimmed off
- 8 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- parmesan cheese, shaved using a vegetable peeler for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place tomatoes on a baking sheet and toss with 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Roast for about 10 minutes, shaking the pan a couple of times until tomatoes are just starting to burst.
- Meanwhile, trim the tops of the asparagus spears and set aside. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the remaining part of the spears to get thin shavings of aspargus.
- Place the shaved asparagus and asparagus tops in a large bowl with the roasted tomatoes and chopped basil.
- Whisk together the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing into the bowl and gently toss to combine.
- Plate the salad and top with a few shavings of parmesan cheese.