Note: This post first appeared on October 6, 2011. The recipe has been edited slightly (just a few tweaks to make these pumpkin chocolate chip bars even better!) and the photography updated so that you might actually want to eat them now (wow – someone should’ve just taken the camera out of my hands 5 years ago). The text is original and I can distinctly remember plowing through this entire batch of bars in about 2 days back then. That’s one thing I definitely miss about distance running; the calorie deficit was no joke and making up for it was one of my favorite things about the sport. Enjoy!
Made with whole wheat flour and oats, these chewy and dense pumpkin chocolate chip bars are an easy and healthier fall treat perfect with a glass of milk!
Did the suspense from the sherry tomato flat bread pizza post kill you? I bet it did.
I’m pretty sure when I signed up for the Philadelphia half marathon subconsciously it was solely because of the extra food that comes along with training.
For me, that food comes in the form of dessert. 10 mile run? That’s good for at least 3 cookies. It’s not like I look forward to eating more salad while training. Love my veggies, but not that much.
There’s only one reasonable solution in this kind of situation.
Open another can of pumpkin.
Are you sick of pumpkin? I hope not because this was one of the big cans.
I’ve got a Tupperware full of pumpkin puree still and there’s only so many mornings of pumpkin oats I can handle.
But, I can promise some reprieve after this since I bought an acorn, butternut and spaghetti squash this week.
Things might get squashy for a bit.
These are somewhere between the consistency of the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and your traditional butter laden cookie bar. A happy, delicious tasting compromise.
They’ve got pumpkin, apple butter and oats in them. They’re practically a health food.
Which means you can have two without thinking twice.
Or one, heated up with vanilla ice cream, more chocolate chips and whipped cream.
I may or may not have had first hand experience with that combo. I did run 8 miles after all.
Love this Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars recipe?
- 1 cup whole wheat white flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup apple butter (or applesauce)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease an 8 inch baking pan (or similar size).
- Combine flour, oats, spices, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter with a handheld mixer until smooth.
- Add in egg, vanilla, pumpkin and apple butter and beat again until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.
- Add walnuts and chocolate and mix again until combined.
- Transfer batter into pan and smooth to evenly distribute into the corners.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool completely in pan before cutting into squares.