Enjoy a mixture of savory and sweet in these apple cheddar crumble bars.
I spent the past weekend in Maine with a group of fitness & food bloggers representing Cabot in the Beach to Beacon 10k.
Besides the race, we drove around in red and black plaid Cabot vans, visited one of the 1200 Cabot farms, stalked met elite runners and ate A LOT OF CHEESE.
I thought I would be seriously sharped out, but I couldn’t shake the idea of cheddar and apple pie from my head after Nick, one of the Cabot team members who was with us this weekend, mentioned the combo.
I told him I’d give it a try this fall and his response was “oh, don’t wait until fall.”
So I didn’t.
I like apple pie/crumble and I like apples + cheddar as a snack.
This is it’s offspring and it’s a wonderful combination of savory and sweet.
I’m not sure how much more awesome you can get when you already drive around in a plaid van that says “random acts of cheese” on the side, but Nick managed to do so with this recommendation.
These apple cheddar bars are definitely in the dessert category even though there’s cheddar cheese in there in all its savory goodness.
It’s one of those combinations that just work and you just have to have faith in until you taste it yourself. It won’t disappoint, I promise.
If you still want an apple dessert, nothing’s easier than this microwave apple crisp. Hey, you could even throw some cheddar in there!
- 1 cup oats (not instant)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) softened butter
- 2 tablespoons milk (any kind will do)
- 1 apple, cored, peeled and thinly sliced
- thin slices of sharp cheddar cheese (about 12 slices)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, whole wheat pastry flour, almond flour, brown sugar and baking soda.
- Mix together with a spatula and then cut the butter and milk in with your finger tips until the mixture is a "crumb" texture.
- Pour about 2/3 of the mixture into a 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish and press down firmly with your hands or the bottom of a glass to form the base of the bars.
- Layer the cheese slices on top with enough slices so that the crumb mixture is completely covered.
- Lay the apple slices on top of the cheese.
- Add the chopped pecans to the remaining crumble mixture and pour on top of the apples. Press down firmly again to form the top of the bars.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting into bars.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 466Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 519mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 5gSugar: 14gProtein: 20g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.