Note: This post first appeared September 10, 2011; the recipe has been edited slightly to include some additional notes, a quick video on how to make this pumpkin banana chocolate chip bread was added (above) along with updated photography. The text is original and thankfully, our basement hasn’t flooded since this incident! Pumpkin banana chocolate chip bread doesn’t seem nearly as innovative these days as it apparently did to me 5 years ago but this recipe is still a winner nonetheless and the perfect way to ease into fall baking. Enjoy!
This pumpkin banana chocolate chip bread is a delicious fall treat sweet enough to be dessert and light enough to be breakfast. The perfect fall treat!
Operation dry out the basement was in full effect yesterday. The good news is we now have a functioning boiler and air handler again. The central vacuum and treadmill however are still in critical condition. Doctor’s orders are time + dry air, fingers crossed for a full recovery. Ulysses may not be a chef or a masseuse, but I’d say handyman is a slightly better quality when things like this happen.
Enough about water. How about pumpkin instead?
Starbucks reintroduced the pumpkin spice latte this week so I figured it was an appropriate time to tap into the stockpile of Libby’s I hoarded from last year.
Confession: I actually opened this can last Sunday for some pumpkin oats and it’s been sitting in my fridge ever since, desperately waiting to be incorporated into some baked good.
I think this was worth the wait.
Bananas are a staple in this house. Ulysses eats one every morning, I will almost always have at least 1/2 of one each morning, factor in snacks and we go through a “bunch” of bananas in about 2.5-3 days. Overripe ones are a rarity.
So, when I came home yesterday from my trip to California and saw 3 bananas getting all brown and spotted I actually got excited to finally have some to bake with.
I’m going to go out on a limb and say everyone has had banana bread at some point and many have had pumpkin bread before.
But, have you had pumpkin + banana + chocolate chips before? No? It’s kind of a match made in heaven.
Love this pumpkin banana chocolate chip bread recipe?
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, or vanilla bean paste as shown in video
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x5 loaf pan liberally with baking spray.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mash bananas in a small bowl until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter into the loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Top with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing from pan and transferring to a cooling rack.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 356Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 292mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 6gSugar: 17gProtein: 10g