This is an easy and healthy apple streusel bread topped with a delicious crumble and drizzled with icing.
Hi, my name is Gina and I’m a hypochondriac.
Recently, I’ve developed this weird thing where I just feel shaky and weak when I work out. It’s almost like an adrenaline rush gone bad. I’ll get to the bottom of a heavy squat, come back up and literally feel lightheaded or like I’m about to pass out. My body just feels like a big bowl of Jello. It’s never happened before and nothing in my life/diet has changed that would explain it. At first, it was just frustrating because I’m probably only able to give about 85% of my max effort during workouts because of it but now weeks later, I’m starting to freak out a bit.
I’m googling things like “lyme disease symptoms” (don’t think it’s that), “anemia” (a possibility and something I’ve always been on the border of), “blood sugar issues” (maybe?) and the list goes on and on and on.
So now I’m left with 11 days between me and a doctor’s appointment where I plan to get my blood drawn and hope there’s something telling in there that explains this (but doesn’t mean I’m dying).
And so in the interim I’m self-diagnosing.
Which, the other day, meant eating a piece of this apple streusel bread right before crossfit. You know, just to make sure I got my blood sugar up in case it’s that.
Can’t say it really worked, but the bread sure as heck tasted good.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 apple, finely chopped (about 1 3/4 cups)
For the Streusel Topping:
- 4 tablespoons oats
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
For the Icing:
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients for the bread (whole wheat pastry flour through nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Whisk together all remaining ingredients (except the apples) in a medium bowl.
- Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and mix until mostly combined.
- Add the apples and fold in until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Combine the streusel ingredients in a small bowl and incorporate them into a "crumble" using your fingers.
- Sprinkle the streusel on top of the bread and bake for about 40 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let cool.
- Combine the icing ingredients in a small bowl and microwave for about 15 seconds to warm it up. Mix with a spoon until it reaches an "icing" consistency.
- Drizzle over the bread once cooled.