This roasted strawberry coconut yogurt bread is moist, perfectly sweet from the juicy strawberries and healthy to boot!
I’m kinda scared of Valentine’s Day these days.
What it used to be: a cute day where as kids, we stuck paper notes in each other’s little “mailbox” in school, an omg, what kind of cheesy heart shaped box of candy/stuffed animal/jewelery did he get me as teenagers, and then in the adult years pre-social media onslaught, a quiet night in and a good excuse to drink, eat something expensive and um…whatever comes after that.
What it is today in the world of Pinterest: a sickly explosion of red, pink, sprinkles and over the top food crafts with far too much red dye involved.
I will never understand red velvet.
It’s vanilla, with red food coloring.
Tell me again why the world goes crazy for it?
I hate the color pink. Red isn’t too far behind either. Pinterest right now makes me want to throw up.
So you won’t be catching any cutesy heart shaped red velvet cookies dipped in pink sprinkles on here in the next 9 days.
Roasted strawberries are about as Valentines-y as I get (here’s a roasted strawberry salad recipe if you’d rather the savory approach) over here.
And personally, I think they taste a hell of a lot better than red velvet.
Particularly, with coconut in a healthy-as-can-be-but-you’d-never-know-it yogurt bread.
More strawberry recipes to enjoy:
- 1 cup whole wheat white flour
- 2/3 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain full fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped roasted strawberries (*see directions)
- extra sliced strawberries and coconut flakes for topping
- Place chopped strawberries on a baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, set aside and lower temperature to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, coconut flakes, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs then add the yogurt, applesauce, extracts, maple syrup and coconut oil and whisk until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until fully incorporated.
- Gently fold in the roasted strawberries.
- Grease a loaf pan with baking spray and pour the batter into the pan.
- Top the batter with strawberry slices and coconut flakes.
- Bake for about 55 minutes until the bread is cooked through.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a cooling rack.