This paleo lemon poppyseed bread is incredibly moist and topped with a lemon glaze for a delicious grain free treat that’s great as an afternoon snack. Watch the video below to see how to make this easy paleo lemon poppyseed bread.
I’m pretty sure I have an addiction to chocolate.
Every afternoon, after I eat lunch, clean up and put the kitchen mess of the day away, I can only focus on one thing: chocolate. Whether it’s a piece of dark chocolate from my stash of bars in the pantry, a handful of chocolate chips from the bag, a spoonful of Nutella, or a slice of this paleo chocolate zucchini bread it HAS to happen.
The problem, however, is once I eat whatever a respectable serving would be of any of those options, I eat more. And then some more and sometimes, even a little bit more. It’s like I can’t stop and I’m pretty sure it’s the closest (if not actually the real thing) I’ve ever been to having an addiction.
So in my brilliant mind the best way to get rid of this little afternoon sugar addiction is to just replace it with another.
Hi there, paleo lemon poppyseed bread.
For as long as this remained on my kitchen counter, all chocolate cravings disappeared.
I wouldn’t have thought lemon had such powers but this bread with it’s slightly tart, slightly sweet, super moist and oh, grain free-ness did.
I’ve never been so proud of a paleo baking experiment as I am with this loaf.
It’s everything I want out of bread period, let alone paleo bread.
No weird sinking in the middle or oddly small loaves. No dark/burnt looking interior. No need for half a dozen eggs (super pet peeve of grain free baking). No need for a special order off Amazon for the ingredients.
And so a new addiction is born with just a couple simple ingredients:
- cashew meal
- coconut flour
Coconut flour is pretty much everywhere these days but if you can’t find cashew meal, simply buy some unroasted, unsalted (aka plain) cashews and process them until finely ground in your food processor or high speed blender. I love using my Vitamix for this.
- 1 1/2 cups cashew meal (I use Trader Joe's)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
For the glaze:
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
For the Paleo Lemon Poppyseed Bread:
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees. (Yes, 360. I like a baking temperature between 350 and 375 for paleo baked goods) and grease a loaf pan.
- Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest and almond milk in another bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined.
- Add the poppyseeds and mix again until thoroughly distributed in the batter.
- Pour into the greased loaf pan and bake for about 40 minutes until the middle is set and the top/edges start to turn golden brown.
- Remove the bread from the oven, let cool a few minutes in the pan before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the glaze:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Heat just slightly in the microwave so that the coconut oil and coconut butter melt/soften enough to whisk everything together into a smooth mixture.
- Set aside and let cool back to room temperature, as it sits and cools it will thicken a bit. You can also set it in the fridge for a few minutes to speed the process up.
- Once the bread is cooled completely, drizzle the glaze over the top of the bread and let it set.