This gluten free chocolate strawberry bread pudding can be a decadent breakfast (perfect for Valentine’s Day) or a deliciously chocolaty dessert!
Watch the video below on how to make gluten free chocolate strawberry bread pudding and subscribe to my YouTube channel for more easy recipes.
Want to know something I never thought about prior to this recipe? The difference between bread pudding and baked French toast.
What say you, dear internet friends, is the difference? Because I spent a solid 30 minutes thinking about it before naming this recipe.
Some might say since the bread is cubed instead of kept in sliced form it’s definitely bread pudding and not French toast.
However, do a quick google search of “baked French toast” and you’ll find plenty of recipes with cubed bread.
Others will say the ingredient list lends itself more to a dessert (bread pudding) than a breakfast with the amount of chocolate going on but then how many cream cheese and mascarpone stuffed French toast recipes are there out there?
And those things are just as decadent as chocolate in my opinion.
Ultimately, I went with bread pudding. Obviously. But, I’m still not satisfied with the decision and it’s bothering me I’ve spent this much brain space on something so stupid.
So call this whatever you want but here’s the deal, it’s ridiculously, outrageously, insanely DELICIOUS.
Gooey chocolate chips, bright fresh (surprisingly sweet considering it’s February) strawberries and nutty toasted coconut get layered together with coffee chocolate soaked bread and baked into a moist gluten free pudding.
It’s almost like a brownie collided with bread pudding in texture and taste and with Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I vote you can choose to eat it either as dessert OR breakfast.
Obsessed is putting it mildly when it comes to how I feel about Udi’s breads lately. The millet chia one and I are full out in love and it’s not only because the macros rock my world (hello, 12 carbs per slice) but the heartiness and texture are spot on for gluten free bread.
I used the white sandwich bread in this recipe mostly because I was being greedy and not wanting to part with my beloved millet chia but having tasted ALL of the varieties, any will do!
One spoonful in and you won’t care if it’s bread pudding or French toast, you’ll just want MORE!
Love this chocolate strawberry bread pudding?
- 6 slices Udi's white sandwich bread, cubed
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips, divided
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coffee/espresso powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (*optional)
- Melt 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips, coconut oil and coffee together in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Whisk the eggs, coconut sugar and vanilla bean paste together until smooth in a large bowl.
- Gradually add the almond milk to the mixture and whisk until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Add the cubed bread to the mixture and mix well. Set aside for 15 minutes so bread can absorb the liquid.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking dish with butter.
- Pour half the bread mixture into the baking dish. Spoon half the strawberries on top and half the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips. If using, sprinkle a little coconut on top as well.
- Pour the remaining bread mixture on top and repeat with the remaining strawberries, chocolate chips and coconut.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 50-60 minutes until the center is set.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 96mg Sodium: 275mg Carbohydrates: 60g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 33g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 10g
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Udi’s Gluten Free. The opinions and text are all mine.