These simple, no bake, 3 ingredient coconut almond butter truffles are a delicious guilt-free treat that come together in just minutes. Vegan, paleo and gluten-free.
Yesterday, I spent 5 hours in my pajamas, on the couch, researching Groupon deals to warm, sunshine filled faraway lands as I looked out onto my half snow covered/half sopping wet backyard on a disgusting grey, cold, foggy day.
I contemplated Atlantis, Vegas, Cancun, Jamaica and Dominican Republic for hours before finally honing in on DR as the best deal.
Then I read every single sentence on the Groupon page because I’ve never actually purchased a Groupon before, have no idea how the whole thing really works and was convinced I was going to click “buy” and instantly become part of some internet scam people would laugh at me for falling for.
Since I still wasn’t positive about the whole thing I started googling “Groupon + scam” “Groupon + vacation” and any other term I could think of to ease the paranoia.
45 minutes of that and then I was on to researching flights.
A vacation deal is great, but what if the airfare is like $2000?
Almost an hour later on Jetblue’s site, I had a page worth of flight dates and prices written down.
Back to the Groupon site, re-read the entire FAQ section, double check the resort on Tripadvisor, triple check the resort on it’s own website and then head back to Groupon.
There I am hovering over the “buy” button for about 30 minutes switching back and forth from Twitter to Groupon, Facebook to Groupon, google reader to Groupon when…
I get up off the couch and make these coconut almond butter truffles instead.
What’s In These Coconut Almond Butter Truffles?
The ingredients for these dessert bites couldn’t be simpler:
- coconut butter (or make your own with this coconut butter recipe)
- almond butter
- almond extract (the best! I love this extract so much)
The chocolate dip is simply coconut oil and cocoa powder mixed together.
You could definitely melt chocolate chips with the coconut oil for an even more indulgent truffle if you wanted.
Coconut almond butter truffles…way less of a commitment than a vacation, almost as good a fix for a dark, dreary, cold day.
I usually tend to make big purchase decisions almost too quickly but hem and haw over small ones for days on end.
This time it was the exact opposite (probably how it should be anyway) but not gonna complain when the result is these lusciously decadent coconut almond butter truffles.
Coconut Almond Butter Dessert Bites
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons almond butter creamy is best
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- pinch of salt optional, I didn’t add this because my almond butter was salted
Optional Chocolate Dip
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder **see note
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Combine coconut and almond butter in a small bowl. Microwave until melted.
- Stir with a spoon until smooth.
- Add almond extract and salt if using and stir again.
- Freeze for about 10 minutes or until mostly hardened.
- Remove from freezer and roll into balls (this is slightly messy)
- Return to freezer for about 5 minutes.
- If dipping in chocolate, melt coconut oil in a small bowl and then stir in cocoa powder until fully incorporated. Dip each ball in chocolate mixture and set down until chocolate sets. Re-dip for a thicker coating if desired and let set again.
- Keep refrigerated.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Gina Matsoukas is the writer, founder, photographer and recipe developer of Running to the Kitchen — a food website focused on providing healthy, wholesome recipes using fresh and seasonal ingredients as much as possible. Her work has been featured in numerous media outlets both digital and print, including MSN, Huffington post, Buzzfeed, Women’s Health and Food Network.