This dark chocolate granola bark has granola, nuts, coconut and dried cherries mixed inside and sprinkled on top for a crunchy dessert or snack bite you’ll love.
Last August I came home from Food Blog Forum in Asheville, NC with a block of chocolate about two times the size of my head. Seriously, it had to have been like 2-3 pounds at least. Over the past 8 months, I’ve done a bit of damage to that bad boy when desperate nights have left me otherwise dessert-less but there was still enough left to take up about half a shelf in my pantry when this idea struck.
Dark chocolate granola bark.
I figured I like granola and I like chocolate so why not marry the two together for a dessert or snack and get rid of this beastly slab of chocolate taking up residence in my house for the past 3/4 of a year? So instead of having to choose between a piece (or 5) of dark chocolate and my other go-to night time snack, a bowl of granola, I can kill two birds with one stone and grab a piece of this granola bark instead.
To insure complete disgust from Ulysses (so that I can eat it all myself), I made sure to use the dark chocolate ‘n peanut butter Nature ValleyTM Protein Granola. Just in case the base of dark chocolate wasn’t enough to turn off his chocolate hating tastebuds, the added dark chocolate in the granola itself was sure to push him over the edge. And sure enough, not a single piece more than I’ve eaten has gone missing yet. The texture from the granola gives the bark this awesome crunch and peanut buttery taste while the coconut, almonds and dried cherries are just an added delicious bonus to each bite.
For the first time maybe ever, instead of being annoyed (usually at a restaurant when I want to split dessert), I’m realizing there may be some benefits to a husband who hates chocolate.
Dark Chocolate Granola Bark
This dark chocolate granola bark has granola, nuts, coconut and dried cherries mixed inside and sprinkled on top for a crunchy dessert or snack bite you'll love.
- 12 ounces dark chocolate (60% or higher), chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup peanut butter 'n dark chocolate Nature ValleyTM Protein Granola, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Place chocolate and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl. Bring a couple of inches of water to a simmer in a medium sauce pot. Place the bowl on top and gently stir with a spatula until chocolate and coconut oil are completely melted and smooth.
- Add the granola, coconut flakes, almonds, cherries and chia seeds to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour the chocolate mixture onto the baking sheet. Spread into an even layer with a spatula.
- Sprinkle more of the granola, coconut and almonds on top.
- Set the baking sheet aside until the chocolate has cooled to room temperature then place in the refrigerator to set completely, about 2-3 hours.
- Once set, break into pieces and store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 5gSugar: 20gProtein: 7g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Nature Valley Protein Granola via Burst Media. The opinions and text are all mine.
Shawn @ I Wash You Dry
Friday 1st of May 2015
I want to marry this! What a fun snack!
Becky | The Cookie Rookie
Monday 27th of April 2015
This looks SO good! I haven't made anything quite like this, I really want to give it a try! Thanks for sharing!
Julie @ Table for Two
Monday 27th of April 2015
You have no idea how much I love this idea. The flavors in here are some of my favorites, too! I can see myself with melted chocolate all over my face from devouring this haha