Past weekend activities included a 3 hour night of sleep (thanks Mack & Ginger), some time at the lake and a car accident involving an old (at fault) Italian man without a license who sideswiped us (and thankfully bounced off Ulysses tires which are of Monster Truck proportion causing no damage to us or the truck) and then proceeded to plow over 2 mailboxes, a street sign and get his car stuck in a ditch and up on 2 wheels. Wish I had thought to take a picture, it was entertaining. The best part was that he wanted to get out of there so badly (again, no license) he tried to reverse the car out! It was amusing. No one was hurt just so you don’t think I have some sick sense of humor and found this amusing while people were injured.
So, let’s get to these cookies shall we? I’ve only been teasing you with them since Saturday.
Let me start by saying there is nothing healthy about these cookies. No applesauce as a butter substitute, no whole wheat flour, no reduced sugar, nothing. If you’re looking for something along those lines you might want to check out these.
If you’re looking for a delicious twist on a chocolate chip cookie, these are them.
Sometimes butter is just worth it.
The dough comes together just like a traditional chocolate chip cookie.
Except at the end, you fold in chopped macadamia nuts along with the chocolate chips. The more mix-ins the better, right? I tasted this despite the raw egg (really now, who doesn’t?!) and probably could’ve been content just eating the dough out of the mixer. I still get nervous creating a new baked goods recipe and needed some sort of assurance it was going to taste good once baked. Not really sure why I thought it wouldn’t when the main ingredients are flour, butter, sugar…duh.
*Side note: I’m honestly not sure how I lived before my silpat. If you don’t have one, get one. Your life scrubbing baking sheets as you know it will be forever changed and then you can spend the would’ve been clean up time eating your cookies. A much better deal if you ask me.
I know macadamia nuts are not a normal pantry staple in most people’s kitchen. I think they’re worth it though for a non-traditional nut + chocolate chip cookie recipe. Unlike walnuts or pecans, they don’t really toast while the cookie is baking so you don’t get that strong toasted/charred flavor. These are more like a background surprise with each bite.
So next time you want to whip up a normal batch of chocolate chip cookies think about this twist. They’re simple, (I guarantee you have all the ingredients besides the macadamia nuts maybe on hand) they’re different, and they are worth every calorie in that stick of butter.
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/8 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, silpat or grease.
- Cream butter and sugar together. I used my stand mixer but feel free to do it by hand or with a hand mixer.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- Slowly add in flour, salt, baking soda while mixer is on a medium-low speed.
- Mix until just incorporated. Batter will be pretty thick.
- Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Scoop batter in tablespoons onto baking sheets and bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes, until edges turn a golden brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes until transferring to a cooling rack.