These cranberry chocolate chip cookies are perfect for the holidays with their tart & sweet bite.
It seems like the calendar flipped to December and all of sudden cookie recipes are everywhere! So, I’m joining the masses. You can never have enough cookie recipes, right?
I kind of wish I had the entire month off to just bake. I have visions of homemade gifts in cute mason jars with pretty ribbons and tags affixed. What’s the most likely outcome however?
Homemade cookies, a plastic plate and some tinfoil. That’s real life people.
Regardless, these will be on that plate.
They’re little bites of tart and sweet all wrapped up in a relatively (as far as cookies go) healthy package. If they include oats, “healthy” automatically becomes a suitable adjective. Duh.
Want to know something incredibly funny about these cookies? Good. Because, I’m telling you anyway. While I was carrying cookies back into the kitchen, Ginger (who was hovering by my side of course) decided to be sneaky and jump up on the table with her front paws to snatch a few cranberries for an afternoon snack. If dogs could have facial expressions, I swear she would’ve been grimacing as soon as she bit into that first cranberry. Her face literally curled up with disgust and bafflement as I walked back in the room. Priceless. Serves her right.
They may be a bit too tart fresh, but they’re pretty damn awesome in a cookie. Too bad for Ginger she didn’t get to taste the finished product to find out.
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together wet ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Fold in cranberries and chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough out onto baking sheet by the tablespoon.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly golden on top. Let cool on baking sheet for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.