These rosemary sea salt and vinegar beet chips are a fun, crispy and healthier snack served with roasted garlic yogurt dip.
For years I’ve said I’m not a chip person.
And for the most part, that’s true. Salty food cravings are very few and far between for me.
Chocolate cravings, however, that’s another story. A day can’t go by without some sort of chocolate consumption happening.
But then I found myself with 3 of the largest beets known to man (seriously, one was the size of a baby’s head) and decided to make chips.
And…now I might be one of those salty people.
When I do decide to eat chips, I’m not wasting the event on any old chip. No, no.
Chip priorities go like this:
1. kettle cooked
2. no ridges
When that whole “salt & vinegar” chip thing became, well, a thing back in the 90s, I was in heaven.
I LOVE vinegar anything.
I even made salt and vinegar popcorn cauliflower if that isn’t a prime example of my love for the combination.
I’ve told you many times on here how I will drink vinegar out of salad bowls and happily splash balsamic on my fries so chips without vinegar are just not worth eating in my book.
These beet chips live up to all expectations, vinegar flavor included.
They’re soaked in Nakano natural rice vinegar for 15 minutes before getting pan-fried with rosemary to crispy perfection and they’re bursting with that tangy vinegar deliciousness because of it.
Sprinkled with some coarse sea salt and they are a serious game changer in the salty vs. sweet decision.
You can even try making these in the air fryer like I did with my air fryer zucchini chip recipe!
They’re delicious eaten as is but if you want a great dip to dunk them in try this vegan spinach artichoke dip.
Looking for more vegetable chip recipes? Try one of these:
Rosemary Sea Salt and Vinegar Beet Chips
For the Beet Chips
- 2 large beets thinly sliced with a mandolin or using the slicing mechanism in a food processor
- Nakano natural rice vinegar
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- extra virgin olive oil for pan frying
- sea salt
For the Dip
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoons roasted garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
For the Beet Chips
- Place sliced beets in a large pot.
- Add rice vinegar until just covering the beets. Bring to a boil, turn off heat and let sit for 15 minutes then drain.
- Add enough olive oil to the bottom of a large pot or sided skillet, add 1 sprig of the rosemary and heat over medium. (*see notes for other cooking options)
- Once oil is hot, add the beets in a single layer. Pan-fry the beets for about 1-2 minutes on each side until they start to crisp up.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain and repeat with remaining beets, adding oil as necessary to the pot/skillet.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and the remaining rosemary sprig and serve warm.
For the Dip
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir together.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Headed on a road trip vacation this summer? Whip up a batch for easy snacking on the go for a healthier alternative to convenience store snacks.
This post is sponsored by Nakano as part of my ongoing brand ambassadorship with them. All opinions, content and photography are my own.
Gina Matsoukas is the writer, founder, photographer and recipe developer of Running to the Kitchen — a food website focused on providing healthy, wholesome recipes using fresh and seasonal ingredients as much as possible. Her work has been featured in numerous media outlets both digital and print, including MSN, Huffington post, Buzzfeed, Women’s Health and Food Network.