These smashed sweet potato guacamole bites have crispy sides with soft centers. Topped with a crispy piece of salty bacon, they’re the perfect game day bite.
So we’re apparently getting anywhere from 18-36 inches of snow today and tomorrow.
Even the low end of that forecast sucks.
18 inches pretty much guarantees power outages around here and even though we have a generator and a wood stove, neither of those things will bring me the internet when it goes out.
I mean, who cares about the lights, I’d rather have the ability to waste my entire day away on Facebook and Netflix.
But that’s all the shit talking I’m going to do about this storm because you know what it’s done?
It’s gotten people to shut the hell up about deflated balls and the Super Bowl while they freak out about stocking up on eggs, milk and bread instead.
If you haven’t been around for any other Super Bowl season, please refer to this edamame dip for my thoughts on the sport of football. It’s pretty succinct.
The one and only good thing about the Super Bowl, is and always will be, the food.
These sweet potato guacamole bites are definitely on the healthier side of the Super Bowl food spectrum but that doesn’t mean they don’t have some serious game pop-ability.
Their crispy edges, soft middles, spicy guac centers and salty bacon top make them perfect for throwing back while you watch half-illiterate fat men run around a field and horribly lip-synced half-time shows.
For a similar dish with striking color – try this smashed and roasted purple sweet potato recipe or, use purple sweet potatoes in place of regular sweet potatoes for this recipe!
Love this recipe for Smashed Sweet Potato Guacamole Bites?
Try other healthier appetizers like Spicy Hummus Stuffed Roasted Potato Cups, Ricotta Sage Honey Stuffed Prunes, and Turkey Meatballs with Avocado Citrus Dipping Sauce.
Smashed Sweet Potato Guacamole Bites
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 avocados
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 jalapeno minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 slices bacon cooked
- Clean sweet potatoes leaving skin on. Place in a large pot and cover with water. Boil potatoes for about 20 minutes until tender.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove potatoes from water, slice into thick rounds (about 1/2 inch) and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Using a fork, gently smash the tops of the potatoes.
- Drizzle the potato rounds with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes in the oven for 20-22 minutes until the edges are crispy and starting to turn golden brown.
- While potatoes cook, combine the avocados, lime juice, garlic, jalapeno and cilantro in a small bowl. Mash together until smooth.
- Chop the bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and set aside.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, top with a spoonful of the guacamole and a piece of bacon.
- Serve warm.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Gina Matsoukas is the writer, founder, photographer and recipe developer of Running to the Kitchen — a food website focused on providing healthy, wholesome recipes using fresh and seasonal ingredients as much as possible. Her work has been featured in numerous media outlets both digital and print, including MSN, Huffington post, Buzzfeed, Women’s Health and Food Network.