This one pan chicken artichoke olive skillet is filled with Mediterranean style ingredients for an easy weeknight meal packed with flavor.
I know olives are divisive. Like cilantro, you’re either a lover or hater.
I was the kid that would stick pitted black ones on each finger and happily eat them off one by one.
I love them all from black to green to kalamata and everything in between.
So, olive haters, sorry, this dish is probably not for you.
But for you lovers out there, the buttery, Mediterranean flavors from these green and kalamata olives combined with artichoke hearts and hearty white beans are what make this one skillet chicken dish so flavorful.
I’ve been all about the sheet pan and one-skillet meals lately.
The less clean up the better and I feel like they both just lend themselves to healthy eating, always a great thing, especially this time of year.
It’s really easy to throw protein, vegetables and healthy carbs on a sheet pan or in a skillet than it is with those more indulgent ingredients like pasta and cheeses so they practically force you to eat well.
I’m down with that approach.
If you’re going to do sheet pan or skillet meals, you need flavor enhancers otherwise they tend to be a bit blah.
The spices in this chicken artichoke olive skillet combined with the secret tangy splash of rice vinegar are what really bring this dish to life.
It’s a tad Middle Eastern, a bit Mediterranean and a whole lot delicious.
Looking for Mexican flavors instead? Try this turkey sweet potato skillet.
The hint of cinnamon is one of my favorite parts.
I feel like cinnamon is a transportive ingredient when used in savory foods.
It immediately takes me elsewhere, which is a great thing right now as NY weather and I are not getting along at the moment.
Each bite of this chicken artichoke skillet does just that.
You could serve this over rice if you wanted but what I love about this recipe is that it’s truly a one-skillet meal.
You’ll feel completely satisfied eating just what’s in the skillet (thanks to those hearty white beans) and nothing more if that’s the route you choose.
No need for sides or more pots and pans to clean up.
Although, a side of rice would definitely stretch it out a little longer in the leftover department.
Maybe not such a bad thing.
Need another recipe idea like this? Try this chicken saag dish too.
Love this chicken artichoke olive skillet recipe?
And for more artichoke recipes, check out Tomato Braised Artichokes with Pistachio Pesto and Crispy Lemon Roasted Baby Artichokes. You can also take a peek at my Guide to Artichokes – it’s a great resource with everything from how to buy and store them to lots of recipes to use them in!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons Nakano Original seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 ounce can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 3/4 cup mixed pitted olives, I used a mixture of green and kalamata
- freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Place olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in the skillet once hot. Brown on each side for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside in a dish.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onions. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the spices in a small dish and mix the chicken broth and vinegar together in a separate bowl.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add the spice mixture to the skillet, cook for 30 seconds stirring constantly.
- Add 1/4 cup of the broth mixture to the pan to deglaze any bits from the bottom using a spatula. Stir frequently and cook until thickened and reduced by about half. Add the remaining broth mixture to the pan, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the cover from the skillet, place the chicken back in, turning to coat in the sauce then add the artichokes, olives and beans, gently tossing to coat everything in the sauce and cook an additional 3 minutes until heated through.
- Remove from heat, garnish with parsley and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 755mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 9gSugar: 2gProtein: 34g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.