Simple and rustic, galettes are the perfect dessert when you’re craving pie but don’t want to put all the effort in. This paleo strawberry almond galette will satisfy any sweet tooth in a healthy way!
I briefly mentioned the strawberry picking adventure I went on last week when I was talking about these gluten free chocolate biscuits on Friday but let’s revisit that. I got an email from the farm I did a CSA with a couple years ago letting us know the strawberry fields were bursting with fresh fruit and ready for picking. I deleted it and went on with my day thinking, that’s great but I can also just buy them in the store, they taste great since it’s actually strawberry season and the convenience factor is about tenfold better. Then it somehow got brought back up in a conversation with Brandy and next thing I know, we’re making plans to pick berries on one of the hottest days of the year at a time in the morning when I’m usually still on the couch in my pajamas procrastinating the real start to my day.
We arrive, make the trek out there (they moved the field to pretty much the furthest possible location from the parking lot), spend 30 minutes in the heat seeking out the perfect red berries trying to not be annoyed by the 15 families who thought it’d be a great idea to take the kids strawberry picking not realizing they’d be there for an hour listening to their toddler say “mommy/daddy- is THIS a good one???” on repeat as they hold up the greenest of green strawberries they can find (it was one of those “yep, SO glad I don’t have kids” gut check moments) and then head back into the store to pay. Except guess what was inside the store? Strawberries. That cost THE SAME EXACT AMOUNT as the ones we just spent 30 minutes and half a gallon of sweat picking. I tried to keep the crazy inside but expletives wanted to leave my mouth. Like real bad.
So home we went with 2 containers filled to the brim with strawberries. They sat on the counter for not even 2 days when I realized they were starting to mold. $6.50/pound and these little bitches wanted to mold on me in not even 48 hours. That’s when operation paleo strawberry almond galette began and while I’m annoyed at the entire set of circumstances leading up to the event, the outcome is pretty baller.
I’m joining up with some other pretty amazing blogging ladies today to bring you guys 5 healthy summer berry dessert ideas including my paleo strawberry almond galette. So go get your berry picking on (or just buy them in the store) and stuff your face with one of these recipes because berry season is way too short.
Brittany’s Mixed Berry Fruit Salad
Easy and nutritious, this colorful fruit salad combines ripe strawberries, blueberries, grapes, kiwi and pineapple chunks with a zesty lime and poppy seed dressing. It’s a refreshing summertime dish perfect for brunch, picnics, parties and cookouts.
Davida’s Blueberry Hazelnut Crumb Bars
These paleo and vegan Blueberry Hazelnut Crumb Bars are made with wild summer blueberries, sweetened with a touch of maple syrup on a hazelnut crust and crumble. They will fill your sweet tooth all summer long!
This paleo poke cake has sweet pockets of homemade blueberry filling and is topped with whipped coconut cream and fresh strawberries for an easy, healthier dessert! Perfect for the Fourth of July!
Combine the perfect biscuit with dairy-free whipped cream, fresh strawberries, and easy strawberry sauce for the ultimate classic summer dessert!
Last but not least, my paleo strawberry almond galette.
I hate using the word delicious but really this was like a 10 on the deliciousness scale. The grain free crust held together so well, had the perfect flakiness to it without being too flaky (ain’t nothing worse than an over flaky pie crust), the strawberry filling is perfectly sweet since the berries pretty much roast while the crust bakes and the hint of almond flavor with each bite makes this one of my all time favorite desserts.
To the point where I’d almost consider going through the whole picking process again, annoying toddlers and all for another one.
Simple and rustic, galettes are the perfect dessert when you're craving pie but don't want to put all the effort in. This paleo strawberry almond galette will satisfy any sweet tooth in a healthy way!
1 hr, 20 Prep Time
40 minCook Time
2 hrTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 2 eggs, divided
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 -3/4 cup sliced blanched almonds for the sides
- 3 cups hulled strawberries (either sliced or whole if they're small)
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, salt and butter in a food processor. Pulse until the texture of coarse meal.
- Add 1 egg and sugar and pulse again until dough comes together.
- Turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour up to overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Roll the dough out between two pieces of parchment paper into a circle. You want it thick enough to be able to hold the filling and fold up the sides.
- Place the strawberry filling in the middle of the circle leaving about 2 inches around the edge empty.
- Gently fold the sides up, creasing the dough together with your fingers as you go.
- Beat the remaining egg with a splash of water in a small bowl.
- Brush the outside edges of the galette with the egg wash.
- Press the almonds all over the sides of the galette then brush again with the egg wash.
- Transfer the parchment with the galette to the baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, let sit about 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving.
Picture overload! Sorry, I couldn’t resist.