These gluten free chocolate biscuits are filled with toasted coconut and packed with healthy dark chocolate, a healthy and decadent way to start the day.
I know I just said how I didn’t really miss grains that much after doing 30 days of paleo but I have to say it’s been really nice eating something other than my 2 minute paleo english muffin every day for breakfast. Especially when that something involves chocolate.
If you’re looking at the words “gluten free” and getting all sassy in your head I want you to go buy this gluten free flour use it like you normally would for baking something and then tell me it’s not amazing. I’m basically at the point where I use it as my go-to flour and poor Mr. All-Purpose has the crap seat in the corner of the pantry lately along with his friends Whole Wheat and White Whole Wheat.
Buzz worthy diet titles aside though, these are biscuits with chocolate and toasted coconut in them and I’m not only telling you to eat them for breakfast, I’m telling you they’re good for you too because with an ingredient list that includes unsweetened cocoa powder, coconut sugar, and coconut oil, it’s hard to argue that point, right?
And who can say no to a healthy chocolate carb to start their day?
My next goal is to find a way to pair them with the 4 pounds of hand picked strawberries I came home with yesterday and sweat my butt off picking for 30 minutes in the 80 something degree, 5000% humidity morning only to find out the pre-picked baskets were the same price in the farm store afterwards because the strawberry chocolate combination never gets old.
I’m thinking chocolate strawberry shortcake biscuits….yummmm.
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cold coconut oil (place into a half cup measure and refrigerate for 20 minutes to get it extra cold)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- 2/3 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the cold coconut oil in pieces and cut into the flour mixture using the back of a fork until the flour is crumbly in texture.
- Add the toasted coconut flakes and stir to combine.
- Add the milk and vanilla and stir with a spatula until just combined, do not overmix.
- Form about 1/4 cup of the dough into biscuit shaped circles with your hands and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving. Best eaten immediately.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 33.69 Total Fat: 0.03g Carbohydrates: 5.81g Protein: 0.02g