These easy cranberry corn muffins are made with whole cranberries and corn kernels. They’re the perfect addition to your holiday meals!
For some reason I’ve only ever hosted the “difficult” holidays. I think hosting Thanksgiving must be like childbirth, the only reason you’d ever offer to host that holiday multiple times is because you’ve forgotten how bad it really was the first time around. Things I’ve learned from 3 Thanksgivings: 1. Resist the urge to use your china. Yeah, it’s pretty. Yeah, what’s the point of having it if you’re not going to break it out for a holiday meal. But seriously, just remember how many dishes come along with Thanksgiving dinner and then remember that China doesn’t go in the dishwasher. Turkey tastes just as good on a paper plate. 2. When people say “what can I bring?” don’t be so stupid to say “oh, just a bottle of wine will do, I’ve got the rest!” There’s just no excuse for that kind of lapse of judgment. 3. Do not attempt making “new” recipes that day. Specifically, popovers.
Between that, the dishes and catering to Ulysses who herniated a disc in his neck that morning and was screaming in pain on the bed upstairs unable to join us for any of the meal (we ended the day in the ER, that was fun!) the aforementioned 3 rules of hosting Thanksgiving were born.
This year, we’ll be homeless for Thanksgiving and temporarily living with my parents so I won’t be hosting per se, but I’m pretty sure my mom won’t be letting me sit on the couch all day while she cooks everything by herself. So this year, we’re doing muffins not popovers.
These are easy cornbread muffins stuffed with whole fresh cranberries and corn kernels. Cornbread is a staple on any Thanksgiving table, we’re just jazzing things up this time around. During the winter months, I always (well, except this year considering I’m homeless) keep the pantry stocked with Del Monte® canned vegetables and fruit to be able to easily add to baked goods or meals without having to worry about some foreign produce that was picked well ahead of its time ripening on my counter top.
Cranberry corn muffins
These easy cranberry corn muffins are made with whole cranberries and corn kernels. Theyâ??re the perfect addition to your holiday meals!
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ? teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup Del MonteÂ® Whole Kernel Corn, drained
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a muffin tin with baking spray.
- Combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the milk, egg and butter in a small bowl.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Fold in the cranberries and corn until incorporated.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tin and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.