Get your sushi fix at home! This quick and easy tuna sushi bowl is packed with radishes, carrots, cucumber, seaweed and avocado then drizzled in a spicy avocado wasabi dressing.
*Thanks to the California Avocado Commission for sponsoring this post.
I complain at least once a week to anyone that will listen (usually Ulysses, poor dude) about the lack of takeout options available to us where we live. It’s like we’re 7 (yes, 7, not quite 10 and definitely not just 5) minutes too far away from the main road to make the takeout distance worth it. So, if we want anything other than pizza, we’re basically going out to eat, not ordering in.
That’s all well and good except it interferes with my desire to live as much of my life in oversized 10+ year old sweatpants as possible and no restaurant chair will ever be able to compete with my couch and the fleece throw blanket that is permanently affixed to the lower half of my body.
We do happen to have a sushi/hibachi place precisely 1 mile down the road though (that of course doesn’t deliver). I don’t love the vibe of it and the service leaves A LOT to be desired but I do love sushi.
It finally occurred to me the other day that duh, I could buy some sashimi from them, bring it home and get my sushi fix in this easy sushi bowl without ever having to take off my sweatpants.
Takeout dilemma solved.
Besides the fish, well honestly, it’s right up there with it, the thing I love most about sushi is the little side of wasabi and pickled ginger. Guys, I could eat a cup full of that pickled ginger just straight. I loooooove it.
And the wasabi…I might be the only person in the world to use up most of that little green glob mixed in with some soy sauce as my sushi dipping agent. The more heat the merrier.
All that got me thinking about making my own dressing featuring some deliciously in season California Avocados with both the ginger and wasabi. The result is a creamy, tangy and spicy concoction that is the perfect topping for a tuna sushi bowl filled with radishes, carrots, cucumbers, seaweed and of course avocados, because any sushi roll without avocado is a sushi roll not worth eating!
Love this Tuna Sushi Bowl with Avocado Wasabi Dressing recipe?
For the sushi bowl
- 6 ounces raw sushi grade tuna, chopped into small pieces
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly shaved
- 1 carrot, chopped into 3 inch sections then thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 California avocado, sliced
- 2 sheets dried seaweed, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons prepared pickled ginger
- sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 cup cooked white rice
For the dressing
- 1/2 California avocado
- 1 tablespoon pickled ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon wasabi paste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- water to thin
- Place the rice in the bottom of a bowl.
- Arrange the remaining ingredients for the sushi bowl on top of the rice.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a food processor. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary and adding as much water as needed to get the desired consistency.
- Drizzle the dressing on top of the sushi bowl.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 692Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 666mgCarbohydrates: 80gFiber: 13gSugar: 25gProtein: 24g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.