These baked chocolate avocado donuts are a healthier way to enjoy a cake donut with 2 fun topping ideas!
All I could think about when photographing these donuts was Ghostbusters. Like the green slime stuff that would splatter everywhere when they shot the ghosts. And then the thought of slime got me thinking of Nickelodeon and Double Dare.
How freakin’ epic was that show? I think I actually had a crush on Marc Summers which is totally gross because I just googled him and apparently, he’s a year older than my mom.
So now that I’ve likened these donuts to slime, I’m sure you want some.
Ok, truth is I got a little weird with these and put avocado in them.
A baked chocolate avocado donut. Quite a 180 from Monday’s fried chocolate pumpkin donut holes.
And if the avocado inside of them wasn’t enough, I went ahead and made an avocado icing. I’d say that’s probably where the line got crossed from ok, acceptable to ok, weirdo.
Not really down with the weirdo version? That’s cool, powdered sugar works just as well.
And let’s just get this out of the way, baked donuts are basically cake/muffins with a hole in the middle. These have the word “cake” in the title because honestly, that’s what they taste like. Monday’s donut holes taste like a donut, these taste like cake.
But considering my house still smells like oil from the frying that went down over the weekend for those donut holes, I’ll gladly let the donut shops do the frying and stick to the baking when it comes to the homemade kind.
So they’re donut shaped cakes. But whatever, because they’re still delicious.
Is cake not delicious? These are super moist and almost gooey still on the inside. Made with whole wheat white flour, cashew meal and an entire avocado, they’re also not so bad for you. As in go ahead and eat 2 before your workout healthy.
That’s what I did and then managed 10 strict unassisted pull-ups for the first time.
The green gives you superpowers.
Love this baked chocolate avocado cake donut recipe?
Try these other donut recipes: Paleo Chocolate Donuts with Coconut Vanilla Bean Icing, Blood Orange Cream Cheese Filled Chocolate Glazed Donuts, and Chocolate Glazed Donut Bites.
Baked Chocolate Avocado Cake Donuts
These baked chocolate avocado donuts are a healthier way to enjoy a cake donut.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cashew flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup coconut or almond milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
For the Avocado Frosting
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut/almond milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a donut pan with baking spray.
- Combine the flours, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and chopped chocolate in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl making sure there are no lumps from the avocado.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to fully combine with a spatula.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool a couple of minutes before removing from the pan and transferring to a cooling rack.
- While the donuts cool combine the frosting ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Spread the frosting on top of the donut and top with cacao nibs.
- Or, just toss the donuts in powdered sugar for a different topping option.
*Because the frosting has a full avocado in it, it will turn a darker green/brown as it sits. Frost before serving.
6 Ways to Bake with Avocados - California Avocado Commission
Wednesday 17th of December 2014
[…] Baked Chocolate Avocado Donuts […]
20 Unique Hass Avocado Recipes + A Giveaway - Growing Up Gabel
Monday 20th of October 2014
[…] let the green frosting on these Baked Chocolate Avocado Donuts from Running to the Kitchen scare you off. Plus they are dairy […]
Vanilla Baked Fruidoo Donuts » Farmgirl Gourmet
Tuesday 27th of May 2014
[…] Gina – Running to the Kitchen – Baked Chocolate Avocado Donuts […]
Tuesday 4th of February 2014
Nice - Would love to share with all my foodie friends - If you're interested then head over to FoodFotoGallery dot com and submit one of your food photos
Wednesday 22nd of January 2014
It's funny you thought of Double Dare. I loved that show too! My dad and I used to watch it all the time. The green color reminds me of You Can't Do That On Television, which, in looking back at that show, I think it might have been a feeble attempt at Monty Python for kids.