I feel like I’ve been enlightened.
You didn’t, right? This isn’t something I’ve just been unaware of the whole time is it?
That tends to happen to me. A lot.
Ulysses said they tasted like bubble gum. I don’t agree whatsoever, but that’s not really a bad taste so I figured I’d put it out there for those who might desire some bubblicious at 7am.
These are a totally different ball game than regular overnight oats, which I’m not a huge fan of because of the totally mushy, gummy consistency they have. These are chewy, nutty and have a delicious orange flavor throughout like your morning glass of OJ and oatmeal got frisky in the fridge overnight.
And after attending a birthday party with 15 kids age 4 and under yesterday, that’s about the only kind of friskiness that’s going down over here for a long time.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup almond milk + 1/4 cup in the morning
- juice of 1/2 an orange
- 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- Mix all ingredients together in a seal-able container and let sit overnight in the refrigerator (10-12 hours).
- In the morning, add the remaining 1/4 cup almond milk to thin the oats out a bit and stir together.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy cold or microwave for 30 seconds to take the chill off.