This easy chicken stuffed eggplant is topped with lots of sharp cheddar for a dinner everyone will love.
The other night I was on the train home from Yankee stadium after seeing the Spain v. Ireland game as an early Father’s Day gift for my dad. Let me tell you what a metro north train after 10pm is like once any sports game has let out in the city…it’s every stereotypical New York cliché in a tightly packed space and it’s both horrifying and super entertaining at the same time.
There’s the loud mouthed drunk girl yelling “excuse me!” as she tries to make her way to the bathroom exclaiming that “it’s an emergency! I swear I’m not trying to be ‘that girl!’” while she smacks her gum. There’s the late thirty year old men in their respective team jerseys arguing about the refs call and who the better team was with plenty of f-bombs interspersed for good measure. It’s the Spanish speaking thugs in the corner who you can’t understand and fear might stab you if you so much as look at them. Of course there’s the construction worker in his filthy jeans and paint stained t-shirt who got out of work more than 5 hours ago but is just going home now after god knows how many beers at the local bar with his buddies. And then there’s the early 20 something guy sitting across the aisle from you who strikes up conversation mentioning how he “saw you on the platform going into the city earlier”, continues to talk to you the rest of the train ride and then suggests “seeing what this town is all about” when you both get off the train at 10:53pm even though he already knows you’re married.
And lastly, there’s the girl in stilettos and an Ireland jersey talking (loudly) about her favorite snack as a kid: eggplant slices, pickles & cheese.
The chick wouldn’t shut up about this stupid snack and while her annoying voice is still haunting me, she gets the credit for this recipe. Or at least the idea to buy eggplant.
Just be glad I didn’t stuff it with pickles & cheese.
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 8oz. chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 8-10 thin slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Score each eggplant half on the diagonal and stick the slices of garlic in the slits in the flesh.
- Drizzle the eggplant with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes on a baking sheet.
- Remove eggplant from oven, top with chicken and tomatoes then layer the cheese slices on top of that.
- Return to oven for another 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and garnish with the green onion.