These baked green bean fries are served with a spicy yogurt dipping sauce for a crispy and healthy side dish or snack you can feel good about eating.
I don’t really crave french fries. Is that weird?
In fact, I can’t actually think of a time I ever craved something salty. My chocolate cravings, however, make up for it.
I mean, I like fries as much as anyone else, but I don’t ever get hit with that “oh my god, I need them now” feeling. Although, I will admit to being wooed by the McDonald’s crack fry aroma once or twice in my life. It happens.
What I do get hit with is the overwhelming need to eat food that can be dipped. To me, fries are 80% ketchup and 20% fried potato goodness.
The only thing that makes picking off the ends of green beans one by one worth the effort is baking them up nice and crispy so they become perfect crunchy dipping vehicles which is exactly what these baked green bean fries are.
And yes, I know they sell french cut bagged green beans (or shall I say haricot verts?) that require no end picking, but convenience veggies with fancy names just bother me with their inflated price tags.
I will never buy bagged anything (except baby spinach) or pre-cut fruit from the produce department.
It’s half principle, half stubbornness.
It’s hard to go wrong with a greek yogurt, ketchup and sriracha mixture that leaves your mouth just on the border of uncomfortably spicy.
It’s kind of a fun place to hang out, that spicy borderline area.
Keeps you on your toes whether it’s eating a green bean fry or dealing with the guy who came within millimeters of backing into your car while you’re sitting in it in NYC last night.
A few “spicy” words may have been exchanged.
- 1 lb. pound green beans, trimmed
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sriracha
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a cooling rack on top so it's sitting in the pan.
- Pour egg whites in a shallow bowl, set aside.
- Combine breadcrumbs, flax, nutritional yeast and salt & pepper in another small bowl.
- Dip green beans in egg whites and then coat in breadcrumb mixture. Lay side by side on rack in the baking sheet.
- Spray green beans with baking spray and bake for 15 minutes, until crunchy and golden brown.
- While green beans bake, combine yogurt, ketchup and sriracha in another small bowl to make the dipping sauce.
- Enjoy hot out of the oven.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 202.17 Total Fat: 7.26g Carbohydrates: 26.4g Protein: 7.92g