This honey orange sesame chicken dish is an easy, healthy takeout fake-out recipe you can make in minutes at home. Sticky, sweet and delicious!
The amount of Chinese food + couch lounging + Netflix watching that goes on in our house in the winter is kinda embarrassing.
Let’s just say that the Peking Court man knows my voice by now and starts our conversation with “you want large wonton soup, right?”
Yes, yes I do, kind sir.
I go on to order whatever else we’re in the mood for at the time and then proceed to wake up no less than 2 times in the middle of the night completely parched from all the salt I consumed earlier.
I tell myself I should just make my own “takeout” (like sweet and sour tofu) and then forget about it until the next 3 am water wakeup.
Today, we’re making that happen though.
You order Chinese and you want, sticky, sweet, saucy goodness, right?
This orange sesame chicken recipe made with honey is all those things, minus the truck load of salt (and god knows what else) and made in 20 minutes flat. It’s like gochujang chicken just without the fiery kick.
Craving seafood, try this general tso’s shrimp instead. Same deal with the addicting sauce and only 10 minutes start to finish for that dish!
Sorry, Mr. Peking Court, it might be awhile until we meet again.
Looking for a slow cooker version of Chinese takeout?
Try this slow cooker honey garlic chicken recipe, it won’t disappoint!
And my Kung Pao chickpeas are the perfect vegetarian take on that Chinese takeout menu favorite!
Love this honey orange sesame chicken recipe?
This garlic chicken bite recipe also uses bite-sized chicken breasts for an easy one skillet meal.
Honey Orange Sesame Chicken
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs cut into small chunks
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- juice of 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil for cooking
- 1/2 pound green beans trimmed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Toss chicken with salt, pepper and flour in a large bowl until fully coated with the flour.
- Add the coconut oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the chicken to the skillet and brown on one side.
- While chicken browns, whisk together the orange juice, honey, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, minced garlic and soy sauce in a small bowl.
- When the chicken is browned on the one side (about 5 minutes), turn the pieces over and add the green beans. Cover with a lid and cook for about 5-7 minutes until the green beans are cooked but still crispy.
- Remove the lid from the skillet, add the sauce, toss to combine and cook, uncovered over medium heat for another 3-5 minutes until the sauce reduces, thickens and coats the chicken and green beans.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top and serve with cooked rice.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Gina Matsoukas is the writer, founder, photographer and recipe developer of Running to the Kitchen — a food website focused on providing healthy, wholesome recipes using fresh and seasonal ingredients as much as possible. Her work has been featured in numerous media outlets both digital and print, including MSN, Huffington post, Buzzfeed, Women’s Health and Food Network.