This quick and easy garden pesto salmon is served on top of a Mediterranean rice for a healthy meal that can be on the table in less than 30 minutes.
I’ve been spending about 2 hours minimum at the gym 6 days a week lately. What started as some extra squatting to prepare for a competition that has come and gone has turned into barbell + metcon sessions with 200-400m lunges at the end and a lot of random ring dip, pull-up, handstand and muscle up practice (<–omfg). It’s becoming an obsession. Well, that and I much prefer how many carbs I get on this nutrition plan on workout days versus rest days so, I’m taking the minimum amount of rest days possible right now (ha!).
When you work out from 6-8pm, except really it’s more like 8:20 by the time you actually leave and 8:30 by the time you get home, making laborious time consuming dinners isn’t really in the cards.
On rotation for dinner lately has therefore been Trader Joe’s chicken sausages + whatever veg I have on hand, leftovers and this salmon with garden salmon pesto from Bumble Bee.
Between this and their Ahi Tuna SuperFresh meals, I’m literally never left staring at the fridge at 8:30pm starving with nothing to eat any more. Cooked from a frozen state and ready in 15 minutes (20 if you listen to the directions but I prefer my salmon slightly under-cooked in the middle) it’s pretty much a lifesaver when it comes to healthy last minute dinners.
Best part is the ingredients are all “real” and the fish, like all their SuperFresh meals is sustainably sourced.
To go along with the pesto vibe of the salmon, I made a Mediterranean rice filled with things like sun dried tomatoes, chickpeas, spinach and lemon.
The recipe makes about 4 servings of rice (and that’s being generous) so you’ll have leftovers ready to go for the next time you have an emergency salmon night, which, if you’re me, is like every other night.
Garden Pesto Salmon with Mediterranean Rice
- 1 cup white rice
- 4 cups baby spinach chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced sun dried tomatoes
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 14 ounce can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Bumble Bee SuperFresh Salmon with Garden Pesto
- Place 2 cups of water with the rice in a small sauce pot. Bring to a boil, stir, reduce heat to low, cover and let cook until all the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, combine the spinach, sun dried tomatoes, pine nuts, chickpeas and lemon zest in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil in a separate small bowl.
- Once the rice is cooked, add to the large bowl.
- Pour the dressing into the bowl and toss until everything is well combined.
- Add the feta, toss again then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare salmon according to package directions and serve atop the rice.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
This post is sponsored by Bumble Bee. All content and opinions are my own.
Gina Matsoukas is the writer, founder, photographer and recipe developer of Running to the Kitchen — a food website focused on providing healthy, wholesome recipes using fresh and seasonal ingredients as much as possible. Her work has been featured in numerous media outlets both digital and print, including MSN, Huffington post, Buzzfeed, Women’s Health and Food Network.