This sweet and spicy mango shrimp dish is ready in just 20 minutes and has a nice kick of spice that is balanced out by the sweet mango.
I seldom cook with shrimp.
Doesn’t mean I don’t love those little guys because I totally do, especially when they can be used solely as a vehicle for consuming copious amounts of spicy cocktail sauce.
But reality is, buying shrimp that haven’t grown up in some nasty farm situation floating around in their own shit is expensive.
Throw in the fact that I want those suckers shelled, de-veined and tails removed when I buy them because pulling off the skeletons and removing poop from sea creatures isn’t really my idea of a good time and you’re looking at $15 minimum for a pound.
But I gave in this past weekend and decided they’d be the perfect companion to the one mango left on the counter.
So as my brother and Ulysses built this ridiculous contraption outside to store and season 5 cords of wood for our new wood stove (it looks like we now have a barn on the side of our driveway, minus the horses), I hid in the kitchen to avoid getting roped into helping and came up with this mango shrimp recipe.
How Do I Make Mango Shrimp?
Making this 20 minute mango shrimp dish couldn’t be easier.
Everything is made in one pan/skillet.
If you buy shrimp already peeled and deveined the prep work is even less and while the recipe below says to use a fresh mango that you’d need to chop, you could absolutely use frozen mango chunks to make life even easier (and then make some 5-minute mango frozen yogurt after dinner).
I suggest serving it alongside some white rice although on top of some salad greens would work well too.
If you like spice, this dish is for you.
It’s got some serious kick but it’s balanced out by the sweet mango and refreshing lime garnish at the same time.
Eating it makes you feel like you should be somewhere tropical, you know, like some place other than upstate NY with wood barns being built outside your window.
Love this sweet and spicy mango shrimp?
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sweet Thai chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound large raw, deveined shrimp with tails removed
- 1 mango, chopped
- unsweetened shredded coconut for garnish
- chopped green onions for garnish
- lime for garnish
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once melted, add red onion and saute for 5-7 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic, soy sauce, lime juice, Thai chili sauce, red pepper and shrimp to the skillet and toss to combine.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until shrimp are pink and cooked.
- Add the mango, stir to incorporate and warm through.
- Plate the shrimp and garnish with coconut, green onions and a squeeze of lime. Serve with rice.