This easy stuffed eggplant recipe with chicken and cheddar cheese is a great dinner option everyone will love and can be made in 30 minutes.
Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Eggplant
Whether you’re looking for a simple weeknight meal or something to show off at your next dinner party, these cheesy, delicious stuffed eggplants are sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
Once you try this chicken and eggplant recipe, you’ll wonder why you never cook with eggplant more often!
Its a hearty and nutrient-dense recipe that will have you going back for seconds because it’s too good to only have one.
Enough of just talking about how good it is, let’s get to this recipe!
What is Eggplant?
Eggplant is a member of the nightshade family, closely related to tomatoes, potatoes, and the tobacco plant. It’s a great versatile ingredient that can be used for all sorts of recipes.
One of the most common ways people use eggplant is when they want an alternative to meat in a recipe.
This is because it holds up as a hearty main ingredient that’s packed full of nutrients and antioxidants that support heart health, cholesterol, liver health, and a number of other things.
Ingredients For Eggplant Chicken
A lot of these ingredients are ones you might already have stocked in your kitchen.
So, there’s no excuse not to make this recipe if you already have almost everything you need to make it. Lentil stuffed eggplant is another great pantry eggplant recipe too!
Just one quick in and out trip to the store and you’ll have everything you need to make this amazing cheesy chicken stuffed eggplant.
- Garlic cloves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Chicken breast
- Cheddar cheese
- Green onions or parsley
How to Make Chicken and Eggplant
You don’t need any trained skills to make this recipe easily come together. It’s all pretty straightforward and simple, which allows you to get it on the table, and better yet, into your mouth in no time!
Just preheat the oven and score each eggplant in half on the diagonal and stick the slices of garlic in the slits in the flesh.
Then, you will drizzle the eggplant with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Roast on a baking sheet, and once roasted, remove the eggplant from oven, top with chicken and tomatoes then layer the cheese slices on top of that.
Return to oven until cheese is melted, then remove it from oven and garnish with the green onion.
Do I Have To Use Eggplant?
I personally love how this eggplant pairs with the chicken and cheese for a fresh Mediterranean style dish, but you certainly don’t have to use eggplant.
Really any squash will work, so pick your favorite and get cooking. Just be sure when working with something other than eggplant, you follow proper instructions for prepping. Some squashes involve a deseeding process.
A few squashes you could try are:
- Butternut squash
- Spaghetti squash
- Acorn Squash
- Summer Squash
You could also try these cheesy chicken stuffed poblano peppers for a similar style recipe.
Can I Make Eggplant Chicken With Different Toppings?
Of course! Feel free to mix up the type of cheese and the additional toppings.
I kept it simple with just a few extra toppings, but if you wanted to you could load it up with as much as you want.
You could add some artichoke hearts, sliced vegetables, olives, or anything else you can think of.
This is a recipe you can really get creative with.
What To Serve With Chicken and Eggplant
Tips For Making Stuffed Eggplant Recipes
- When purchasing eggplant, look for those that are heavy for their size with firm, evenly colored and unblemished skin. Caps and stems should be intact with no mold.
- Refrigerate eggplant in plastic bags for up to 5 days.
- There are many different types of eggplants, ranging in different colors and shapes. For this recipe, you’ll want to use the more typical eggplant that is purple and oblong in shape.
- Choose the shiniest color eggplants at the grocery store. Matte color eggplants are the ones which are not fresh.
More Eggplant Recipes
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced in half lengthwise
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- parsley or green onions, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Score each eggplant half on the diagonal.
- Rub each half with the garlic cloves then stick the slices of garlic into some of the slits.
- Drizzle the eggplant with the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes on a baking sheet.
- Remove eggplant from oven, top with chicken and tomatoes then sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
- Return to oven for another 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and garnish with parsley/green onion.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 407Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 340mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 8gSugar: 10gProtein: 27g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.