These baked sriracha chicken spinach fritters are a great appetizer, party food, football snack or even side dish.
After two weeks of eating carbs upon carbs upon carbs, sausages galore, desserts everyday (sometimes twice) and food that had been salted about five times more than necessary, I’ve never been more happy to eat frozen spinach in my life. Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary are all gorgeous and amazing but (good) food definitely isn’t their thing.
Besides vegetables, I actually came home to a 95% completed new tile back-splash in my kitchen. We had bought the tiles before I left but Ulysses was about as enthused about installing it as he was when I forced him to watch Love Actually with me the other week after discovering it on Netflix. Read: not at all. So I was totally shocked to walk into the house yesterday and see it almost done as an anniversary present.
The 5% that wasn’t done was scraping grout off about a two square foot space and caulking. That took 5 hours. FIVE. I was ready to give up at about hour two. I have no idea how he had the patience to do the entire thing. So while complained like a baby, he finished the last 3 hours and I made fritters on top of chipped grout pieces everywhere and my kitchen gadgets scattered in about three different rooms.
That was fun.
Hampton Creek sent me some of their Just Mayo a few weeks ago and the sriracha one has been tempting me ever since. They make certified non-GMO mayo with simple ingredients that’s really affordable (just $2.99 for a 16-ounce bottle!). It also comes in three different flavors: original, sriracha and garlic.
Once these fritters popped into my head, I knew the sriracha mayo was the perfect addition to make them spicy, creamy and moist.
The outside is baked to a crisp but the inside is packed with chicken, spinach and spicy mayo flavor. As much as it pains me to say this, these are seriously the perfect football food. If you’re into watching that crap. Although, I did watch Draft Day on the plane ride home and have to say I even semi-enjoyed it. These are tragedies that happen when there’s no internet available on a 8+ hour flight.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup thawed frozen spinach, water squeezed out (measure after water has been squeezed out as volume will reduce considerably)
- 3 tablespoons sriracha mayo (or combine regular mayo and sriracha)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal, plus more for rolling
- 1/3 cup water
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a baking sheet with baking spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix together until well incorporated.
- Pour cornmeal (about 1/2 a cup) into a shallow bowl.
- Roll the mixture into balls about the size of a golf ball.
- Roll the ball in the cornmeal mixture to coat and place on the baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Spray the tops of the balls with baking spray.
- Bake for 12 minutes, turning the balls over half way through.
- Switch oven to high-broil and broil for about 5 minutes more until tops start to turn golden.
- Remove from oven and serve warm with additional sriracha mayo.
*This post is sponsored by Hampton Creek who provided me with samples and compensation. All opinions and content are my own.