It’s probably weird that I pulled out the slow cooker in the middle of May and I’m sure this recipe would have much more appeal in the winter months, but sometimes a craving just has to be addressed.
You know that nasty honey bourbon chicken with the suspect brown sauce that the Chinese places in the mall hand out on sample platters as you walk by? Which, btw, I really hope you don’t eat. Ew. I can’t even remember the last time I ate at a mall Chinese place or any mall restaurant for that matter. The roach sighting on the Sbarro countertop a few years ago kind of turned me off. But for some reason, that honey bourbon chicken sounded reallllly good. Especially with a sauce that I could make and not worry about what sort of rodent might have been crawling in it behind the cash register.
I know the slow cooker is supposed to be a convenience but honestly, I find it hard to plan far enough in advance to be able to spend 6-8 hours cooking something. I’m sure, however, if I didn’t have the luxury of working from home that would change out of necessity. The great thing about this recipe is that it takes 2 hours. If you don’t have hungry kids waiting to be fed at 5:30pm exactly, you could totally pull this off after work. We don’t eat until 7:30pm on a good day so while this cooked, I got my workout done and showered. Ps- these phase 2 livefit workouts are getting to be a littttle long for the liking.
The result was a sticky, sweet, spicy sauce that coated every piece of chicken. Served with some fresh pineapple it was like a cross between the mall bourbon chicken and the takeout sweet and sour chicken.
So comfortingly delicious and no msg. Win, win.
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, minced
- 2½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- ¼ cup pineapple, diced
- sesame seeds for garnish
- green onion for garnish
- salt & pepper
- Season chicken with salt & pepper.
- Combine honey, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, maple syrup, ketchup & sriracha in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Place chicken in the slow cooker and pour sauce over top.
- Cook on high for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken and place in a side dish.
- Pour sauce into a small sauce pan and reduce over medium-low heat until thick and syrupy.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Add pineapple, sesame & green onion for garnish.