A double chocolate banana bread that’s high in protein and healthy with no added sugar. Makes a great healthy snack or a treat.
There are certain foods that I deem share-able. Billie’s Italian cream cake (couldn’t get rid of that soon enough!) was brought over to my parents house yesterday for Father’s Day dessert, asparagus, corn and mushrooms also made their way over for grilling and somehow, I ended up coming home with half a watermelon that weighs at least 12 pounds.
This bread was not among the share-able stuff. It was wrapped up in aluminum foil, secretly hiding in the back of my fridge away from Ulysses and far, far away from the rest of my family (especially my chocolate gorging brother).
Sometimes you need to be selfish in life. I deem chocolate banana bread one of those times.
I’ve kind of fallen off the Livefit bandwagon (something I’ll go into more fully in another post). I made it 7 weeks before my travel schedule seriously started limiting what I could do and when I could do it while my patience for 90+ minute workouts grew thin around the same time. I’m not following the program exactly right now, but I am still eating like I’m on it. Part of that means coming up with protein sources for post workout snacks, something that’s been almost like a fun challenge for me every week. A protein smoothie is fine once and awhile but I usually have trouble wanting to drink my calories back after a workout. I take in so much liquid before and during that it makes me nauseous just thinking about forcing a dairy based smoothie down my throat after an intense workout.
A (high protein) chocolate chip studded banana bread, however, I have no trouble scarfing down.
Especially with some peanut butter and sliced bananas on top.
Post workout perfection you’ll want to keep all to yourself.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
A double chocolate banana bread that's high in protein and healthy with no added sugar. Makes a great healthy snack or a treat.
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 scoop (heaping 1/4 cup) chocolate whey protein powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 large bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a bread pan.
- Combine flours, cocoa powder, protein powder, salt and baking powder in a large bowl and mix together.
- Mash bananas in a medium bowl.
- Add egg, egg whites, yogurt, applesauce and vanilla extract and whisk together.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir together.
- Fold in chocolate chips and pour batter into bread pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in pan and then remove bread and transfer to a cooling rack.
-There's no added sugar in this bread. If you want it on the sweeter side, feel free to add maple syrup, agave, honey or sweetener of choice. I prefer it as a healthy snack and without the added sweetness -You can also substitute whole wheat pastry flour or regular all purpose flour for the spelt.