No bake coconut lemon chia balls

Yesterday, I discovered picnik. Yesterday, I spent an hour playing with pretty fonts in picnik. Yesterday, I realized picnik is being shut down in 3 weeks.

That was pretty much like giving a kid a brand new toy and then ripping it from his hands saying you changed your mind, he can’t have it. I kind of wish I could throw a tantrum like that (imaginary) kid probably would.

Not cool Flickr.

Anyway, enjoy the short lived pretty fonts. Hopefully they’ll distract you from the fact that I completely forgot to take a picture of lunch. It was fabulous. A salmon burger, spinach, arugula, (<—see! lots of green finally) tomatoes, red cabbage, hummus and sriracha wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla the size of my head. Apples and pb on the side.

Backing up to breakfast…look familiar? It’s been done before. I really wanted hot oatmeal actually but considering I overslept by about 30 minutes thanks to the 5th smoke detector battery in our house that has decided to crap out on us at 3am in the morning, I needed something quick that didn’t require standing over the stove for 10 minutes. Can I just take a sentence to say how much I love Van’s waffles? They’re relatively cheap and they stay crisp unlike some other ones I recently bought on sale (looking at YOU Kashi), a very important factor to be considered when constructing the waffle stack breakfast.

Here’s a lunch visual:

Atlantic salmon. Salmo salar.        +      tortilla

Yummy.

coconut lemon chia balls

Now, these were yummy. That was sarcasm up above, this is not in case you didn’t catch that (I frequently find myself in situations with the whole sarcasm thing not coming across in written form). When in doubt people, I’m being sarcastic. It’s pretty much my truest personality characteristic.

Katie posted these lemon poppy seed no bake cookies yesterday morning and they immediately caught my attention.

1. No bake

2. I had most things on had

3. It’s impossible for me to go a week without a ball snack of some sort

4. As much as I love chocolate, I have just as big a weak spot for lemon poppy seed muffins. I really don’t discriminate when it comes to sweets. It’s one of my better qualities.

coconut lemon chia balls

These are awesome. I ended up subbing chia seeds for poppy seeds because I didn’t have any and since I don’t have unflavored protein powder I used 2 tablespoons coconut flour and 2 tablespoons vanilla protein powder instead. I also added a few tablespoons of coconut milk to get the dough to the consistency it needed to be to roll into balls.

They still have that amazing lemon poppy seed muffin flavor and they’re full of protein.

Look! Natural light in a dinner picture! It actually takes me longer to edit pictures on my iphone, email them to myself, upload to Flickr and then download into the blog than it does to take a regular picture with my camera so I’m kind of overly happy about this 7pm sunset time.

I was alone for dinner last night, so I experimented. The picture says it all, literally…ha. A roasted, stuffed portobello with a side of hard apple cider. Not a bad dinner and some green to end the month of green for what I ate Wednesday.

I’ll be skipping next week’s WIAW for a fun little surprise in the works with some other ladies. Stay tuned!

Comments

They turned out awesome, chia- perfect substitute and even more nutrition. I embarrassed to say I forgot in the recipe to mention sweetener and just updated it (I used a bit of stevia), but maybe yours came out fine without? Either way, thanks for sharing!
    <3 hard cider too :)

haha, that makes sense in retrospect! I was just thinking I would add some maple syrup next time, just a small bit. They are still good without it but I bet that makes it even better :)

Raquel says

I saved this recipe to my favorites ages ago, now I cant get Katies website to load? Can you give me the recipe? I really want to try these out!

ah, I can’t either :( She hasn’t blogged in awhile, her domain may have expired or she took it down. I honestly don’t have the recipe on me any more. So sorry!

LOL You went nuts with the picnic fonts, didn’t ya? ;) I shoulda told you about this ages ago – bites that it’s shutting down. I want to protest.

I wanted to show you this: Picnik is moving its easy yet powerful photo editing tools to Google+. But Picnik doesn’t end until our last day of April 19, 2012.

I’m tragically sad about Picnik going away too. Ahh it kills me – and you’re right it is like ripping a toy away from a small child. Shame on Picnik. Jerks haha :) These look delicious, as per usual m’dear.

I started using Picnik about 2 months ago and was in love with it. Then I discovered they were closing it and just got discouraged and never used it again. I should go back and take advantage of it until it’s gone gone. I love those no bake lemon balls!

I was sad hear Picnik was leaving as well but then I discovered PICMONKEY, it is almost identical though there are less options right now they are adding more! Try it out, see what you think!

We need to get to know eachother on a personal basis. So, I can call you up and say, “Gina, I’m coming over what are you making for ________ (lunch, breakfast, snack, dinner…)?” ;) All of those meals.. very delicious!

Those lemon chia balls sound so good! I’ve actually been making a lot of your balls (sounds so dirty!) recently, Im sure my roommate thinks I’m a bit silly with the fridge packed with the little suckers! I also found and fell in love with Picnik- but like Ashleigh mentioned above, Picmonkey is very similar and I have been using that!

Happened to me with picnik too. We had a short fling, and now I’m just waiting for the end to come. Its kind of painful…I don’t know if I can talk about it yet.

Your dinner looks delicious! And all of your photos are always gorgeous. I love any kind of no bake ball, I’m excited to try these!

Your dinner looks so delicious! You can never have too much balsamic, in my opinion. (:
    And the whole picnik situation is so sad. Let us know if you find a good alternative!

I was also disappointed when I knew that Picnik will be shutting down already. I’ve done a lot of editing there, and I knew some tricks all by myself because it’s so easy to use. Now I feel so terrible for losing it. I love the little balls up there, I’m salivating already! Thanks for the share!

do i live in a hole?!?! what on earth is picnik and did you say cool fonts? i’m always so late and out of the loop. boo. i was 15 minutes late to buy a lottery ticket too. grr.

thanks for making things better with your throw together dinner and katie’s recreation, I was thinking of making them already and now i’m sold!

This might be a shot in the dark, but do you happen to have recipe for the coconut lemon poppyseed no bake cookies? The link to the original recipe leads to a dead website. :(

Cassie says

PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE POST THE ACTUAL RECIPE!!!! I can’t find it anywhere!!! Once you read about a recipe and you can’t get to it after it has enticed you… it’s the worst lol