These BBQ pineapple pork sandwiches are topped with pickled pineapples for a sweet, tangy and smoky flavor combination you’ll love.
Remember the spicy pickled pineapple from last week?
Well, if you haven’t eaten them all one by one out of the fridge when you’re looking longingly into it trying to figure out meals three times a day (hi, I’m talking to myself), these BBQ pineapple pork sandwiches are the perfect use.
The thing is, slow cooked pulled pork never gets old (in my book at least) and the pickled flavor from the pineapple turns what’s usually a way too sweet for my liking combination into messy comfort food perfection piled high on a roll.
That sweet BBQ with the tangy pickle flavor is exactly what I love about these bbq pulled pork nachos too. It’s a must try!
I live with the world’s pickiest dog. Unlike most, Ginger will turn her head to anything that has the possibility of being sold in the produce section.
However, the second any sort of meat exits the oven, she is instantaneously at my side with the saddest eyes and perked ears trying to will a piece to fall on the floor.
Her powers usually fall short and besides a few scraps that make their way into her bowl at the next meal, she trots off disappointed.
This time around though, she was having none of that. After shredding the pork and putting it into the oven to crisp up, I went upstairs to fold laundry and made the rookie mistake of leaving the garbage bag I had taken out of the garbage can half open before putting it outside.
Dogs are like toddlers, there’s nothing good about 5 minutes of silence.
So half way through the hamper, I ran downstairs on instinct and found a very happy weimaraner with pork scraps and half a nice big butt bone chewed, eaten, strewn about and smeared into my white rug. If dogs could smile, she was.
Before the anger could set in fully, I swear my first thought was “you should taste it with the pickled pineapple.”
Love this pickled pineapple BBQ pork sandwich recipe?
Try these other pork recipes: slow cooker balsamic pulled pork, Slow Cooker BBQ Apple Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Carrot Apple Slaw, and Hawaiian Pulled Pork BBQ Enchilada Stacks.
- 4.5-5lb pork butt or shoulder
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- salt and pepper
- spicy pickled pineapple
- sandwich buns
- fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Season the pork with salt and pepper and place in slow cooker.
- Add the jalapeno, onion, BBQ sauce and pineapple juice to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker, shred using two forks and return the meat to the slow cooker to absorb the juices.
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees and line two baking sheets with tin foil.
- Spread the pork (letting any excess juice drip off back into the slow cooker) in an even layer on the baking sheets. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the ends of the pork start to turn golden brown and get crispy.
- While the pork crisps, place a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Once hot, add the spicy pickled pineapple slices to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and starting to caramelize. You can add some extra juice from the slow cooker to the skillet as the pineapple cooks for extra flavor.
- Assemble the pork, pineapple slices and cilantro on sandwich rolls and serve.