Mexican pulled pork sliders are a simple slow cooker recipe using green salsa.
How was everybody’s weekend? I’m just going to pretend like you’re all working today like me and not really off because 1. it’s President’s Day and/or 2. you’re a teacher and have the whole freakin week off. Not only am I glued to the computer screen with some sort of Microsoft office program open today, but I also get to fly out this Sunday morning for work. Nothing better than JFK at 6am on a Sunday…
So to make up for that lameness coming up, I took full advantage of yesterday.
Pork roast doing it’s thing in the slow cooker and a Whitney Houston dance party in the kitchen.
It’s a shame it took her death for me to think to blast that station on Pandora because boy oh boy were there some gems that popped up. Boyz II Men, On Bended Knee (hello middle school socials), Cyndi Lauper, Girls Just Want to Have Fun, and every 90s Mariah Carey song you can imagine.
Whitney stole the show though with I Wanna Dance with Somebody.
That song is just the shit. I mean who doesn’t want to feel the heat with somebody? And if you’re not already dancing, (I was, Ulysses caught it on camera, I thought about posting it all for your Monday entertainment for about .02 seconds before my brain started working) you will be at the end when she’s all “don’t ya wanna dance, say you wanna dance, don’t ya wanna danncccee….” Of course you want to dance. Who can say no to Whitney?
Just put the chef knife in your hand down before busting out a move.
I tried to get Ulysses to dance with me in the kitchen (Whitney was telling me to with the whole “with somebody who looooves me” part) but he wasn’t having it. Ginger was a more than willing participant but you get her riled up and next thing you know she’s humping your leg (I think she may have been spayed too early and forgot she’s a girl) so the dance party ended rather anti climatically.
Until dinner that is.
One bite and it was a PAR-TAY in my mouth.
- 1 1/2- 2 lb. pork roast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup green salsa (I used medium for some heat)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- salt & pepper
- 8 whole wheat slider buns
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- red cabbage, sliced for garnish (optional)
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute onions & garlic with olive oil.
- Season pork roast generously with salt and pepper.
- Once softened (about 5 minutes), push onion & garlic mixture to the sides and add the pork roast to the pan. Brown each side for about 2 minutes.
- Transfer pork roast with onion & garlic mixture to a warmed slow cooker.
- Add cumin, coriander and salsa.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Once cooked, place pork on cutting board and shred apart with two forks.
- Transfer shredded pork back into slow cooker and mix together with the salsa & onion mixture to coat.
- Toast slider buns, place pork on buns and garnish with cilantro & cabbage if using.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 304.87 Total Fat: 29.96g Carbohydrates: 3.92g Protein: 0.37g