These slow cooker BBQ apple pulled pork sandwiches are topped with a sage apple carrot raisin slaw. All the flavors of fall explode in your mouth with each bite.
It’s been pretty well documented on here (and evidenced by the whopping 6 recipes in my slow cooker section) that I’m not the best at fully utilizing the convenience of my slow cooker. I’ve been trying harder though lately. I figure if this thing is going to take up as much space as it does, I might as well put it to use.
Funny enough, I actually got the opportunity to work on 5 freelance photography recipes last month all made in the slow cooker. Only problem was they were all things like breads, pizza and brownies which required less than 2 hours of cooking, at least 30 minutes inactive time before even going in the slow cooker and a decent amount of hands on prep before that! Um…last I checked all of those things sort of defeat the purpose of the appliance to begin with.
A simple, easy ingredient list dinner is what the slow cooker should be all about and these BBQ apple pulled pork sandwiches are just that. I have a hard time not adding BBQ sauce to anything that goes in the slow cooker because I love it’s smoky sweetness but the star of this particular pulled pork is the apples. Cooked for 6 hours with the onions, they give the pork a slightly sweet taste but then also shine through with their tart crispness in the slaw. Speaking of the slaw, I beg you not to skip it thinking you can save a few minutes, it seriously makes the sandwich. It’s everything fall is about in a creamy sweet tangy bite and complements the pork just perfectly.
Bone-in pork shoulder (or butt) is one of my favorite cuts of meat to cook low and slow. The longer it goes, the more succulent it gets and practically just falls off the bone by the end. It’s one of the simplest and most forgiving cuts out there and a perfect match for the slow cooker and cooler fall temps.
For the Pork:
- 4-5 pound bone-in pork shoulder
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- salt and pepper
- 6 sandwich buns
For the Apple Carrot Slaw:
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 apple, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Place the apples and onions in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Place the pork on top of the apples and onions and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the cumin, cinnamon and BBQ sauce to the slow cooker on top of the pork, cover and cook on high for 6 hours until the pork is falling off the bone.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and shred the meat using two forks. Place the pulled pork back in the slow cooker and toss with the apples, onions and accumulated juices.
- Make the apple carrot slaw by whisking together the mayonnaise, yogurt, honey mustard, salt, pepper and rice vinegar in a medium bowl.
- Add the sage, carrots, apples and raisins to the bowl and toss to coat in the dressing.
- Pile the pork on a bun and top with slaw.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1080 Total Fat: 67g Saturated Fat: 23g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 37g Cholesterol: 258mg Sodium: 717mg Carbohydrates: 47g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 19g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 71g
Items used in this recipe:
Thank you to the Ohio Soybean Council & Ohio Pork Council for sponsoring this post. All content and opinions are my own.