Super fudgy chocolate coconut brownies with a strawberry cream cheese frosting are the perfect treat for Valentine’s Day.
I realize I’m a walking (typing?) contradiction right now. Two days ago I talk about quinoa salads, eating healthy and my newly found bodyrock obsession and today I throw a brownie in your face.
But seriously, what kind of person would I be if a Valentine’s Day recipe post didn’t involve chocolate?
Not someone I’d like to know…
So let’s just forget about this little blip in the sugar radar and go with it for the sake of the Hallmark holiday (which by the way, if you’ve ever gone to the drug store the night before V-day you can fully appreciate that saying…Holy freakin craziness).
As far as I’m concerned, brownie boxes shouldn’t even have the “cake-like” option on the back.
If you want cake, make cake not a brownie.
Brownies need to be fudgy with juuuust enough structure to barely hold them together in a square shape.
That’s exactly what these are.
These are also made with that chocolate coconut almond butter making them extra gooey on the inside. Any creamy almond will do though if you don’t want to make that for these chocolate coconut brownies. Don’t worry, you’ll still get lots of chocolate and coconut flavor!
Although, that’s not even the best part. That would be the fact that there’s no egg in these so you can totally go make out with the bowl and spatula afterwards.
Things may have gotten a little inappropriate at my kitchen sink when I attacked that spatula with more vigor than my husband has seen since our honeymoon I’d like to admit.
Even Mr. Not a Chocolate Fan himself enjoyed these. Although, he did say the coconut flakes looked like maggots and now I can’t stop thinking that when I look at these pictures.
The strawberry frosting is just icing on the cake brownie.
It’s delicious but not needed at all with the chocolaty, coco-nutty goodness going on, but it’s V-day and strawberries + red stuff seemed appropriate.
I wasn’t sure my day could get any better after the make out session with the spatula and eating two of these but then these glorious words were spoken…”we don’t have to see Twilight tomorrow, it is kind of a late showing and I have to get up early on Wednesday”.
Apparently, there is a God.
Love these chocolate coconut brownies?
For the Brownies
- 1/4 cup chocolate coconut almond butter
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
For the Frosting
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-5 strawberries, diced
- 1/4-1/3 cup powdered sugar
For the Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease an 8x8 baking dish liberally with butter.
- In a large bowl, beat the chocolate coconut almond butter, butter, coconut oil and sugar together with a hand mixer.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients to the large bowl, folding together with a spatula.
- Add in milk and fold together until combined.
- Add shredded coconut and chocolate chips and fold together once more.
- Evenly spread batter into greased baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting.
For the Frosting
- Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract together with a hand held mixer in a medium bowl.
- In a separate small bowl mash strawberries until almost pureed (alternatively, you can use a food processor for this step)
- Pour strawberries into the bowl with the cream cheese and fold together.
- Slowly adding powdered sugar, continue to beat together with the mixer.
- Refrigerate while brownies are cooling.
- Spoon onto brownies before serving.