This chickpea pesto sandwich is a non-traditional pesto with smashed chickpeas that makes a delicious sandwich filling for an easy vegetarian meal.
This is a sandwich with an identity crisis.
It’s part hummus, part pesto, part guacamole.
It’s like throwing a Greek, an Italian and a Mexican together and telling them to have a party.
Not a bad combination really, especially if they all bring drinks.
I’ve actually been drunk in all 3 of those countries (sounds like a good resume booster, no?) and if I had to pick a favorite, it’d be Italy.
Only because it involved lots of delicious wine, Venice and an Italian waiter kissing the entire length of my arm from my finger tips to my shoulder while serving me gnocchi. A foodie’s fantasy come true. I was 19 and it was amazing even with my parents sitting next to me.
The gnocchi was pretty good too.
If I had to pick one of those things this tastes like the most, it’s pesto.
Just a rather unusually creamy one with some chickpeas thrown in.
I can’t promise any sexually frustrated waiters appearing at your table while eating this, but I can promise a multicultural party in your mouth.
Who said lunch had to be boring?
Mashed chickpeas are a great way to do “lunch salads” in a vegetarian way.
The ingredients are up to you. I happen to love the pesto flavor of this sandwich but you can play around depending on your preferences.
Love spice? Use the ingredients in this sriracha avocado egg salad and just swap out hard boiled eggs for chickpeas!
Looking for more delicious sandwich recipes like this chickpea pesto sandwich?
- 1 15oz. can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- salt & pepper
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 4 slices of wheat bread
- Dry chickpeas and remove as many of the "skins" as possible. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Roughly smash chickpeas with the back of a fork or a potato masher until they're about half smashed, half intact. Set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients except bread in a food processor and process until creamy and combined.
- Transfer half the "pesto" to the bowl with the chickpeas and combine with a spatula.
- Use remaining pesto to spread on each slice of bread.
- Spoon pesto/chickpea mixture onto one piece of bread and top with another slice to create a sandwich.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 807Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 1439mgCarbohydrates: 118gFiber: 27gSugar: 31gProtein: 32g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.