These butternut squash lasagna roll ups are stuffed with chicken and spinach and covered in a creamy, cheesy butternut sauce.
*Post updated 11/1/2017 to include a video on how to make these creamy, delicious Butternut Squash Lasagna Roll-ups. Watch below! Hope you enjoy this cozy fall meal as much as I do.
There are some days you want a quick dinner.
Then, there are some days where spending a couple hours in the kitchen, chopping, processing, sautéing and baking sounds like the perfect thing.
I find that as the weather gets cooler with breeze blowing in through the kitchen window as I stand in my little nook between my sink and stove, I crave those longer kitchen days a little more often.
These butternut squash lasagna roll ups are just the thing for those kind of days.
I’ll be honest, I didn’t really know where this recipe was taking me when I set out in the beginning.
I had a butternut squash sitting on my counter for a couple of weeks, my first “fall” squash purchase when I got home from Europe.
And, I had half a box of lasagna noodles I wanted to use up along with some leftover rotisserie chicken.
Since I didn’t just want to air fry the butternut squash, I settled on this approach.
About 30 minutes later, I was knee deep in the middle of lasagna making.
As far as “winging” it goes, this has to be one of the better results.
The butternut squash plays two roles; a creamy filling with the chicken and spinach and a thinner, cheesy sauce on top of the lasagna noodles.
It’s baked to golden brown and bubbly perfection.
There’s just something about baked pasta that makes it even more comforting than it already is, isn’t there?
And it’s worth every minute of the hour and 15 minutes it takes.
Save it for a weekend if you must but, you must.
MORE COZY BUTTERNUT SQUASH RECIPES TO TRY:
- 5 cups chopped butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I used a leftover rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and all excess water squeezed out (measure after squeezing out water)
- 9 lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add butternut squash, cook for about 10 minutes until softened. Remove with a strainer (leaving water in the pot) and transfer to a food processor.
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic and sage and cook for about 2-3 minutes until fragrant and softened. Transfer to the food processor with the butternut squash.
- Add the ricotta, 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to the food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Set aside.
- Return the pot of water to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the lasagna noodles and cook according to package directions.
- While lasagna noodles cook, combine the chicken and spinach in a bowl and set aside.
- Drain the noodles carefully (so you don't break them) and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Lay each noodle flat, spread 3-4 tablespoons of the butternut squash puree along the noodle. Spread the chicken and spinach mixture on top and roll the noodle up. Repeat with remaining noodles.
- Add the 1/2 cup reserved liquid to the food processor with the remaining butternut squash puree and process until smooth to thin it out.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the mixture onto the bottom of a 9x9 baking dish.
- Place the rolled noodles in the baking dish, seam side down.
- Pour the remaining butternut squash puree on top of the noodles in the dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, turn oven to Hi-broil and bake for another 3-4 minutes until top starts to turn golden and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with additional fresh sage and parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 615Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 653mgCarbohydrates: 75gFiber: 12gSugar: 7gProtein: 39g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.