Posted by Running To The Kitchenhttps://www.runningtothekitchen.com/brown-butter-caramelized-onion-mashed-cauliflower/
© 2012 Running to the Kitchen®. All rights reserved.
Brown butter & caramelized onion mashed cauliflower
Brown butter and caramelized onion mashed cauliflower is a delicious paleo recipe that will have you forgetting about the potatoes.
Head of Cauliflower
Tbsp of Salted Butter
Cloves of Garlic
Tbsp Canned Coconut Milk
Medium Vadalia, or sweet, Onion
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Slice onion and caramelize in 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid burning. Once completely caramelized remove from the pan and set aside. I also threw in the three cloves of garlic towards the end to release some of their flavor.
- Meanwhile, cut off the cauliflower stem and break into florets. Place in a casserole dish and fill with water until about 1/4 of the florets are covered. Microwave for 5-7 minutes, until they are soft.
- Place cauliflower and 3 garlic cloves into a food processor (may need to do this in batches if your processor is not large enough) and process for a few minutes.
- Over medium heat add 2-3 tablespoons of butter and stir constantly until just beginning to brown, about 3-4 minutes, don't let it burn! And try not to drink it straight from the pan.
- Add 1/2 of the caramelized onions, browned butter, and a healthy pinch of salt and pepper to the cauliflower in the processor. Process and start adding in coconut milk until fully incorporated and a smooth, creamy mash has been formed. This may take several minutes depending on your food processor. Taste and adjust salt (I added quite a bit!).