If I didn’t fully convince you of my weirdness with these when I said I never really crave french fries, let me take it a step further…
I can stand in front of the limo length candy selection in a drug store and not be tempted by a single one of them.
Except, the almond joy bar. There’s probably over one hundred to choose from and just one of them tempts me. It’s super weird because I have a huge sweet tooth but sugary suckers, gummy bears and candy bars do nothing for me. Nada.
Chocolate, coconut and almonds together however, that’s something that actually piques my interest.
So standing in line the other day at CVS to buy Ulysses a birthday card (happy 32 today!), I saw it. It spoke to me. It begged, pleaded and whispered sweet nothings in my ear and I rejected it. Not part of the 95.
But it did give me an idea. A candy bar inspired breakfast.
Almond extract might be my favorite flavoring in the entire world. With one drop, it turns whatever it touches into something that tastes like straight up candy. I made these the “overnight” (aka: no cook) way but you could easily turn this into hot oats as well.
Almond candy oats, coconut milk and shredded coconut throughout, topped with cacao nibs.
Almost as good as an Almond Joy, so much better than a stupid Snickers.
- ¼ cup steel cut oats
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla whey protein powder (optional for protein boost)
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- ¾ cup coconut milk (from a carton)
- 1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs
- Combine all ingredients except cacao nibs in a small bowl and mix together.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Uncover, stir, add more milk if necessary until desired consistency is reached.
- Fold in cacao nibs.