These brown butter sweet potato chocolate chip cookies are thick, chewy and chocolaty with tons of texture in each bite.
Hollaaaaa! I made brown butter. For the first time ever. People were all like “oh, it’s so nutty and delicious! Brown butter this, brown butter that, brown butter ALL THE THINGS!” And I was just standing there on the sidelines like “ok dude, chill with the brown butter.”
I get it now though and I’m hopping on that train. You know, 3 years late or whatever.
So I had this pot of brown butter and yeah, some of it made it’s way into my mouth via spoon (like you wouldn’t do the same) but I still filled an entire mason jar up with the rest of it.
So…we have cookies.
Sweet potato chocolate chip cookies that are a texture EXPLOSION in your mouth. Think oats, coconut flakes, chopped hazelnuts and chocolate chips (I know, you’re all like “dude, I can read the ingredients below.” Just work with me here, mmk?) all in a browned butter nutty cookie. Not a pie person? Bring these to your Thanksgiving celebration, totally appropriate, they have SWEET POTATOES in them.
ps- we’re making more browned butter things on Wednesday and it involves your Thanksgiving breakfast!
- 1 cup oat flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup oats
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons brown butter (*see note)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup cooked mashed sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
- dark chocolate chips for topping the cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine the maple syrup, eggs, brown butter, and vanilla in a medium bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Add the mashed sweet potato and brown sugar and whisk again until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together with a spatula.
- Fold in the coconut and nuts.
- Drop about 2 tablespoons of batter onto the baking sheet for each cookie.
- Press 3-4 chocolate chips into the top of each cookie.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until firm and starting to turn golden brown on the edges.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.