Goat cheese & honey stuffed plums

You know these are legit when you open the fridge at 10pm for a quick snack because your 1.5 egg & swiss chard scramble for dinner kept you full for approximately 1 hour after a death by burpees crossfit class and you pick these instead of the chocolate glazed donuts. Seriously, that happened.

I don’t even know who I am anymore.

All I know is that my quads are scaaah-reaming and it’s only been 2 hours and 3 minutes (as I type this) since the class ended. Front squats + burpees. Who knew 2 moves could hurt so bad?

The weird part?

I’m hooked. Totally. Like paid for the rest of the “On-Ramp” classes before I even left kind of hooked. It’s funny how $50, $60, $70 for a regular gym membership always seemed like wasted money to me and I’d much rather just work out at home in my basement, yet I forked over $100+ without any hesitation for someone to tell me to do burpees until I physically couldn’t move anymore.

Before the class started I had to fill out some forms and waivers. You know, the basic stuff, I will not sue you if I get hurt, how much I weigh, height, fitness level, blah blah blah and then there was the food question…a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being “health nut” and 1 being “couch potato”. I circled 8.

I’d like to at least think I’m not an obsessive 10, but at the same time, I’m already internally freaking out about the fact that I have to attend a local work conference today and I know the lunch is going to be crap.

Between that and the late night fridge decision of stuffed plums, I’m thinking a “9” would’ve been a bit more truthful. I guess if I have to be any sort of “nut” though, I’ll take the health one.

Goat Cheese & Honey Stuffed Plums

Prep time
Total time

A summer snack or appetizer. Sugar plums stuffed with goat cheese and honey.
Author:
Recipe type: plums, appetizer
Serves: 2-3
Ingredients
  • 6 sugar plums (or 4 regular plums), sliced in half and pits removed
  • 2 ounces goat cheese
  • 1 teaspoon honey, plus more for garnish
  • 3 leaves basil, chopped and divided
  • ½ tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
Instructions
  1. Combine goat cheese, 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 leaf of chopped basil in a small bowl and mix together with a spoon.
  2. Spoon cheese mixture into the well of each plum half.
  3. Top with toasted pine nuts and remaining basil.
  4. Drizzle more honey on top before serving.
Notes
-No plums? Use peaches, nectarines or any other ripe stone fruit on hand.

Comments

I HATE burpees! Whats a front squat? I don’t mind squats so much, anything to tone the inner thighs. Today I am going to try the Bosu ball for the first time. My ball came with 5 DVD’s, so I can’t wait to try it out! I have 3 weeks to lose my muffin top! ha ha

Your goat cheese plus look delish!! Have a great day!!

Burpees are always my downfall.

These photos are absolutely gorgeous! And the recipe sounds wonderful. I always say plums are the most underutilized fruit when it comes to dessert. Love it!

Always so happy to hear about another recruit to the CrossFit club! No one seems to understand why anyone would fork over the amount I do for my gym membership, but the experience is unlike any other! Keep us posted on how you like it :)

Shannon says

Where did you find sugar plums?? I didn’t know those were actually a fruit, I always assumed they were some sort of Christmas cookie concoction!! These look gorgeous and yummy – I’m kind of thinking of throwing a summer cocktail party now simply so I can serve these as apps!

They were part of my CSA box for the week. At first I thought they were just smaller regular plums but then the girl at the CSA called them sugar plums and I had the same reaction as you, had no idea they weren’t just a made up Christmas thing! haha Regular plums will work just fine though :)

Even though I don’t eat dairy, these look really good! Maybe I can try them with a tofu ricotta or something…

You’re making me want to try Crossfit – as much as I despise burpees! My gym membership is pricey though ($90/mo), so I don’t think it’s in my budget, but I completely agree about having someone tell you to do burbees, jumping jacks, whatever until you just completely collapse – it’s so much more fun to me (in a sick way, I suppose) than working out on my own!

I bet these would be great with a slightly sweetened tofu “cheese” mixture! Let me know if you try something along those lines, I’m curious now.

It is pricey. The way I look at it is I’d much rather cut back on other spending areas of “entertainment” than have to budget myself when it comes to food & fitness. I pretty much buy/do what I want in those two areas and it seems to work out in the end for me. It’s a sick obsession ;)

I have plums and basil. must go pick up goat cheese. (I need to anyways to try Nutmeg Nanny’s squash pancakes) ;)
    Nice job on the crossfit. Paying someone to be tortured. Nice. Haha. I am about to do the same. But thus far have been doing Spartan WODs in my living room.
    Death by Burpees. what a class to walk into. I’m not a big fan of burpees. I may have walked out. haha.

I’ve been eyeing those pancakes too since I saw them the other day. I’ve never wished for zucchini so much in my life!

You are an effin’ rock star!! I’ve been doing my X-circuiting the last few weeks and I told Ben that I will happily cut out $100 every month from some other budget if it means I can keep going well after the wedding. It slays me every time, but if I die THAT happy after doing burpees, mountain climbers and bosu split jumps – that’s okay by me.

*Moment of ass kissing* You’re seriously inspirational, Gina. Thanks. *Moment of ass kissing over*

Aw, thanks lady :) You’re kicking some serious butt in those workouts just looking at your IG pics. I wish we lived closer than 2500 miles apart and we could rock these workouts together!

Even though I hate the pain and soreness I feel post intense workout, I kinda love it at the same time. hurts so good! Hope your quads feel better soon.

And with this recipe, you had me sold at goat cheese! Plums are my dad’s favorite. And he loves goat cheese almost* as much as I do. ;) I have a feeling he’d be in heaven if I made this snack for us when I visit him in a few weeks. Thanks for the recipe Gina!

Hey – when you find a workout that you enjoy and pushes you, you’ll pay whatever right? Kind of like finding the perfect pair of jeans or bathing suit. ;)

And – you know the way to my heart with this recipe! YUM!

my sister is a crossfit instructor and had me do a really simple workout last saturday that KILLED ME. i stretched and walked off like my legs weren’t dying, but that was all just to save face. ouch! i just wish i’d had some plums to drown my sorrows in :)

haha, yeah I tried to keep an “I can handle this workout no problem” type of attitude and face on but I got in the car and basically wanted to die.

ahh, you’re right! I just went back to look at the recipe and didn’t realize how similar they were. Your apricots must’ve subconsciously stayed in my head ;) Now I want to try apricots, I think they’re coming soon from the CSA too :)

Believe me, I still think they’re the devil. I can barely move today. But somehow I’m still looking forward to tomorrow’s class. Maybe U is secretly drugging me?

Oh yeah, crossfit’s a killer. I enjoy dabbling in crossfit workouts from time to time and give huge props to those who have the motivation to do them regularly…one big workout of burpees per month is about good for me. Keep up the good work – excited to hear more about your crossfit workouts! And the plums…I am so happy you reminded me it’s plum time, I love these things. Stuff em with goat cheese and I’d eat them for dessert over donuts any day of the week!

Just looked up burpees on YouTube and I can see why those plus squats killed you. Enjoy (in a manner of speaking) but be careful of your knees with all that jumping and squatting (speaking as someone who messed mine up in the gym)! Your late-night snack looks tempting. I haven’t seen sugar plums but next time I pick up something little like pluots or apricots I’ll keep your idea in mind– maybe halved with yogurt and pineapple mint.

haha, I know what you mean by paying money for someone to yell at you. i had a personal trainer last year and it sucked but was well worth it in the end. i wish i had one now cause i lack motivation to get my ass to a gym. that wedding next year? oh yeah. i’m the bride. shit.

these stuffed plums look healthy and delicious with that tang from the goat cheese. i love how red your plums are. i think for the soy plum chicken, i totally used un-ripened plums because mine weren’t red. they were like yellow/white flesh. woops! haha

I think they’re just a different kind of plum (sugar plum) because regular plums can definitely be ripe and be that white-ish color inside!

Can you please live closer to me? I need you to drag my lazy behind to crossfit, and then feed my face stuffed plums… I’m asking too much… aren’t I?

Gorgeous post, love!

These are beautiful! They’d make the perfect dessert for a summer cocktail party or fancy barbeque. And that you chose them over a doughnut speaks volumes. I know what you mean about freaking out when you know there is going to be unhealthy food and not much else available. I’m doing lots of traveling this summer which is landing me in similar situations. I’m doing my best to plan ahead and pack healthy when I can, but I hate when that isn’t an option. Thanks for the recipe!

If it makes you feel better, our office is having a potluck lunch today and I brought a salad and a fat-free sour cream dip just so I would have something I could actually eat.
    Oh, and next week? We’re having a work dinner meeting at a steakhouse. I’m already thinking about what to order. It’s 7 days away. Health nut much?

I just found you via foodgawker, and I have to say, I’d choose those stuffed plums over donuts any time. They looks soo good!

Thanks for stopping by, Lena! The plums are gone but the donuts are still there if that says anything ;)

This recipe looks amazing. I love anything with goat cheese and luckily I got my husband addicted to it as well. Took some time! Ha.