Caramelized peach & onion salsa

Summer barbeques just got a whole lot more interesting.

Or maybe I should say, if you make this they did.

Yes, it’s another summer fruit salad and yes, it has bacon again. But are you really that upset about those two things?

I didn’t think so.

Summer grilling is great. Although at my house, I consider it a pain in the ass since it requires me walking from my kitchen, through the family room and out french doors that the builder installed backwards (that doesn’t annoy me at all, I swear) while trying to juggle plates, tongs, food and keeping Ginger from escaping to eat the neighborhood children undoubtedly playing somewhere in the near vicinity.

I don’t have a husband who likes to grill things. He apparently didn’t get that man gene. He got extra of the motorized vehicle/garage ones instead. That’s great when I need an oil change, but not so lucky when I want someone to cook a summer dinner. So I inevitably end up manning (pun intended) the grill and I’ll be honest, it’s not my favorite activity. I don’t feel nearly as confident experimenting with stuff on there. Temperatures fluctuate, food sticks to the slats and you run out of propane in the middle of cooking at least once per season. It’s sole redeeming factor is clean up. There is none.

Because of all that, grill nights are pretty boring around here. Basic steak or chicken and that’s about it. Until now. Because now this salsa/side dish/whatever you want to call it will be slathering any and all proteins coming from the grill for the rest of the summer.

It’s fruity and sweet with just enough salt from the bacon and freshness from the basil. It’s uncomplicated and yet complex at the same time.

It doesn’t fix backwards doors or terrorizing dogs but it makes grilling muuuuch more enjoyable.

Caramelized Peach & Onion Salsa
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Kick up grilling season with this salsa topping. Perfect on top of steak, chicken or fish.
Author: Gina Matsoukas
Recipe type: side dish, salsa
Serves: 2-3
Ingredients
  • 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups peaches, sliced
  • 2 slices bacon
  • 5 leaves of basil, chiffonade
Instructions
  1. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over low-medium heat.
  2. Add sliced onions and caramelize (about 20 minutes).
  3. Transfer onions to a dish and set aside.
  4. Cook bacon in same skillet over medium heat until crisp, transfer to a paper towel to drain, then chop into pieces.
  5. Lastly, remove all but 1 teaspoon of bacon grease from pan and saute peaches for 3-4 minutes until soft and golden.
  6. Combine onions, peaches and bacon in a dish and garnish with basil.
Notes
-Use as a topping for grilled chicken, steak or fish. -Enjoy as a side salad.

Comments

Ohhh, I forgot about that one you made! Maybe it was subconsciously haunting me when I made this ;)

oo i really like what you did here with the onion and peaches and caramelizing them! how did the builder build the door backwards? are they supposed to swing out and he made them swing in? or are the handles on the wrong side? haha

Haha, yeah “backwards” probably makes it sound worse than it is. Basically, there are two glass panels, one is fixed and one is a door. He installed the “Door” one on the wrong side and it opens from the wrong side of the door making you have to squeeze around it and into the corner of the room to get out. Hard to explain, but I assure you it’s a giant pain in the butt! It should just be swapped out for a slider but spending that $ and tackling that in a more or less new house seems ridiculous to me so I refuse.

Leonor @foodfaithfitness says

This looks delightful! I grill too and I enjoy it. Except for when the rain comes. Then it’s no fun.

Hmm, I’m wondering if it might be possible to do this with the onions in the grill basket and the peaches on the grill? I’ll forward this to my husband and let him figure it out. Because he’s the opposite of yours. He has the grilling gene but not the car gene. Gotta appreciate the things they do love– I might have to notice when it’s time to take the car into the shop, but I don’t have to worry about the fluctuating temps or sticking items on the grill.

I’m kinda jealous, Mary. I would love to come home to a husband manning the grill one day. Although, car issues tend to be a bit more costly than food prep so maybe I don’t have it so bad ;)