This peach and onion salsa with bacon is perfect for grilling season. Top chicken, fish or steak with it for a whole new grilling experience.
Summer barbeques just got a whole lot more interesting.
Or maybe I should say, if you make this they did.
I didn’t think so.
Summer grilling is great. Although at my house, I consider it a pain in the ass since it requires me walking from my kitchen, through the family room and out french doors that the builder installed backwards (that doesn’t annoy me at all, I swear) while trying to juggle plates, tongs, food and keeping Ginger from escaping to eat the neighborhood children undoubtedly playing somewhere in the near vicinity.
I don’t have a husband who likes to grill things. He apparently didn’t get that man gene. He got extra of the motorized vehicle/garage ones instead. That’s great when I need an oil change, but not so lucky when I want someone to cook a summer dinner. So I inevitably end up manning (pun intended) the grill and I’ll be honest, it’s not my favorite activity. I don’t feel nearly as confident experimenting with stuff on there. Temperatures fluctuate, food sticks to the slats and you run out of propane in the middle of cooking at least once per season. It’s sole redeeming factor is clean up. There is none.
Because of all that, grill nights are pretty boring around here. Basic steak or chicken and that’s about it. Until now. Because now this salsa/side dish/whatever you want to call it will be slathering any and all proteins coming from the grill for the rest of the summer.
It’s fruity and sweet with just enough salt from the bacon and freshness from the basil. It’s uncomplicated and yet complex at the same time.
It doesn’t fix backwards doors or terrorizing dogs but it makes grilling muuuuch more enjoyable.
Kick up grilling season with this salsa topping. Perfect on top of steak, chicken or fish.
5 minsPrep Time
30 minsCook Time
35 minsTotal Time
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups peaches, sliced
- 2 slices bacon
- 5 leaves of basil, chiffonade
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over low-medium heat.
- Add sliced onions and caramelize (about 20 minutes).
- Transfer onions to a dish and set aside.
- Cook bacon in same skillet over medium heat until crisp, transfer to a paper towel to drain, then chop into pieces.
- Lastly, remove all but 1 teaspoon of bacon grease from pan and saute peaches for 3-4 minutes until soft and golden.
- Combine onions, peaches and bacon in a dish and garnish with basil.