This creamy roasted eggplant dip is perfect for parties or healthy snacking.
Let’s kick off 2013 with some eggplant. Not your favorite thing to ring in the New Year with? Well, it beats how I almost literally spent the first few seconds of this year which was being persuaded (unsuccessfully, however) to kiss an 8 year old Yorkshire Terrier since I was the only one in the house without a significant other to smooch come midnight.
I don’t do dog kisses though and for those of you that do, I urge you to reconsider and just take 2 seconds to think about where those tongues go.
Got that mental image? Good. Now make that your New Year’s resolution.
Bet eggplant sounds even more appetizing now.
Ok forget about dog tongues and where they go and think about roasted eggplant, roasted garlic, lots of parsley and some yogurt, tahini and lemon.
It’s a savory smooth dip that packs a tangy punch.
Copious amounts were consumed on pita bread triangles on New Year’s eve and I mentally resolved, while shoving something like the 23rd piece of pita bread in my face, that I’m going to buy a weekly eggplant from here on out so this gets made more often.
I can foresee slathering it on everything from roasted veggies to using it in a chicken salad in addition to it’s excellent dip-ability.
I don’t think I’ve ever done a real resolution but a weekly eggplant purchase seems like one I can handle.
Try more tasty eggplant recipes with one of these:
- 1 medium whole eggplant
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt (I used 2% Chobani)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Toasted pine nuts, pepitas, parsley and olive oil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash eggplant and poke holes with a knife all around exterior. Place on a baking sheet.
- Wrap garlic cloves in aluminum foil and place on sheet with eggplant.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes until the eggplant is browned and soft. Flip once in the middle of roasting.
- Remove eggplant from oven and slice in half lengthwise. Scoop flesh out of the skin and place in a food processor.
- Squeeze roasted garlic out of it's skin and into the food processor as well.
- Add remaining ingredients except olive oil to the food processor and process for about 30 seconds until combined.
- Drizzle olive oil into the food processor while running and process for about another minute until smooth.
- Season to taste with more salt & pepper if needed.
- Transfer to serving dish and garnish.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 516.6 Total Fat: 43.45g Carbohydrates: 20.87g Protein: 7.22g