When you’re trying to eat high protein snacks 2-3 times a day, there’s only so much greek yogurt and protein shakes a person can handle.
So, the logical thing to do is bake cinnamon bread that tastes like a coffee cake except it just happens to be high protein, low calorie, low sugar and without any butter or oil….obviously.
I bet you the mega millions jackpot that none of us won (especially me since I didn’t even buy a ticket) that you would never guess this was healthy upon first bite.
I’m always hesitant to bake with protein powder because things tend hold onto that taste. Apparently, cinnamon does a pretty stellar job of masking it because this tastes like straight up coffee cake.
Even if you’re not watching your protein intake, these won’t disappoint.
Just try and remind yourself they’re no longer healthy if you eat 5 at a time. Wrapping them up individually helps with that temptation. I might just know something about that…
- 1 cup oat flour
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- 2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond milk
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar + 1 teaspoon cinnamon, set aside
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8×8 pyrex or cake pan.
- Combine dry ingredients (first 7) in a large bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients (except sugar + cinnamon) in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour half the batter into the baking dish.
- Combine sugar + cinnamon and sprinkle half of the mixture over the batter until the entire surface is covered.
- Pour remaining batter on top and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Take a knife and gently swirl batter around to mix the cinnamon sugar topping into the cake.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Wrap individually and store in refrigerator.
Adapted from Jamie Eason’s Cinnamon Swirl Protein Bread