Cherry coconut chocolate chip raw dough balls

use 3

Those sound good don’t they?

They are and we’ll get to them in a second but first, guess who got back on the strength training bandwagon today? Me, me, me!

After 2 weeks off, I felt my back was recovered enough to finally give stage 2 of NROLFW a go and it felt great during the workout. I made sure to focus on keeping my abs tight with each move to stabilize my back. Let me tell you though, it’s a lot more work to have to focus intently on doing that with every.single.rep. but obviously, it’s worth it to avoid re-injury and probably what I should be doing anyway. I also toned down the starting weights. While I knew I could go a little heavier on some of the moves, I want to be smart about getting back into lifting and not strain myself from day 1. I’d rather be able to lift lower weights than hurt myself and be sidelined again.

So far I like stage 2 and the new exercises. The dreaded step-up is one of the two moves that carried over from stage 1 though, go figure. The last move in the workout is the horizontal cable wood chop. I don’t have a cable system that is mid-chest at home so the home gym version says to lay on your back with knees bent and feet flat on the floor and just simulate the movement with a dumbbell or kettle ball. Well, I tried that and I definitely don’t think I’m doing it right because I don’t feel any sort of “burn.” Can anyone out there describe this move better?  I also definitely have a new favorite for this stage, the one point dumbbell row.

one point

source

It feels like warrior 3 in yoga but with a strength element, I love it.

Stage 2 is 8 workouts long so hopefully in about 3 weeks I’ll have an update on progress. Fingers crossed for good health until then!

Now, on to the good stuff.

I took Averie’s method and created my own raw dough ball flavor.

Cherry + coconut + chocolate chips.

use 1

Larabar needs to come up with this cherry + chocolate chip flavor. These taste almost like a combination of their cherry pie + chocolate chip brownie bars except less “datey” and more “doughy.”

They are perfect for popping a couple after dinner and calling it dessert. They’re also perfect for quick fuel pre-workout. I used them as both yesterday.

use 2

This made 15 balls. My mission is to eat them all before leaving for a 36 hour trip to Seattle on Wednesday. For some reason I don’t think it will be a problem.

IMG_1571

Cherry coconut chocolate

chip raw dough balls

Method from Averie’s raw vegan chocolate chip cookie dough balls

Makes about 15 balls

• 1/4 cup almonds
  • 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/4 + 1/8 cup dried cherries
  • 2 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 3 tbsp dark chocolate chips
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp agave

Directions:

Process almonds and oats together in food processor until almost a fine flour. Add all other ingredients except chocolate chips and pulse until mixture comes together. Fold in chocolate chips and roll into balls. Keep refrigerated.

Comments

Glad you were able to get back in to your routine! I’ve been studying to become a personal trainer and one of the things I JSUT learned is that when coming back from an injury, obviously use lighter weights but also don’t do the max reps. For instance, if it says 15-20 reps…just do 10. This will be a much easier transition for that recovering injury! Hope you keep feeling better!

Glad your feeling back to normal and able to lift again! :) Those dough balls look and sound amazing but did I hear ’36’ hour trip?! wtf!? That sounds hideous! Very jealous your going to Seattle though! :)

I’ve made that coconut version before too, love it! I haven’t met a raw dough ball I don’t like yet ;)

Natalie A says

I realize this is coming late, but I take a 10 lb weight (go up once you get the hang of it) and kinda start in a halfway squat position with the weight in both hands holding it by my left knee (just the side I start on). Then, I raise it above my right shoulder or past, arms extending so going from knee to opposite raised position, keeping my arms straight. You get a little of a twist in your abs.
    (In answer to your “Can anyone out there describe this move better?”)

And these dough balls look awesome! I want to make them for my vacation next week for hiking in the mountains. They look great for a pick me up, while not eating a granola bar every day

Better late than never b/c I seriously never figured that move out. Thank you! This makes much more sense now :) The dough balls would be perfect for hiking, hope you make them, they are my favorite combination yet!

Natalie A says

Wanted to come back and tell you that I loved them and I will be making them again. I am having trouble finding chia seeds in my store so I omitted them, but would love to add them when I do find them. Also, I had trouble with them sticking together so I used a tablespoon to scoop then knock out onto my counter so they were Energy Domes. Even my husband and 2 year old wanted more. Thanks!

Yay, glad you liked them! Most natural food type stores will have chia seeds but they’re defniitely not a must in the dough balls. I had a little trouble getting them to stick together too, popping the dough into the freezer for 10-15 minutes seemed to help a bit. I should edit the recipe to say that…

Guess your balls were bigger than mine? ;) (sorry-couldn’t resist)
      I remember these being pretty small though so maybe that’s why. Glad you enjoyed them at least!