This pesto stuffed flank steak is an easy and quick dinner that looks fancy.
For as much as I would absolutely love living in NYC, having a coffee shop within walking distance and shopping at small markets instead of the massive suburban grocery stores, there’s something pretty cool about seeing a sign at the end of the gravel driveway on your way home from running errands that says “100% Grass Fed Meat” and an arrow welcoming you down the drive.
So we pulled in and crunched our way down the bumpy gravel driveway until we were clearly parked in front of someone’s farm house with a little shed-like building in front of us and a whiteboard affixed to the outside with the day’s cuts and prices. We jumped out of the truck, were greeted by the friendly farm mutt and walked in.
As we looked over the selection, the father/son duo that was outside on their front porch just seconds ago, walked in, threw on their white butcher coats and hair caps and told us all about the farm, the cattle and how this was their first day open to the public. They suggested a few options for us and after some friendly chit chat we turned to leave and get back in the truck. Right before we opened the door, he said “wait! do you have a dog?” I said yes and that’s when he offered us a marrow bone for her.
If I wasn’t already sold by the looks and price (so cheap for grass fed!) of the meat, I was right at that moment.
We took the bone home for Ginger who has been happily prancing around outside with it in her mouth for the past 48 hours and we enjoyed the steak as an early Sunday dinner before saying goodbye again for the week. It was tender and deliciously bright with the lemony sun-dried tomato pesto stuffing.
And for that, I’m thankful I live where I do.
Sun-dried tomato pesto stuffed flank steak
A deliciously bright stuffed pesto flank steak.
- 1.5 lbs flank steak
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup packed baby spinach
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all pesto ingredients except olive oil in a food processor and process until finely chopped, scraping down sides if needed.
- Drizzle olive oil in while food processor is running until pesto-like consistency forms. Set aside.
- Lay flank steak on cutting board. Cover with plastic wrap and pound with meat tenderizer until it's evenly about 1/4 inch thick.
- Season steak with salt & pepper.
- Spread pesto with a spatula evenly over the entire steak, leaving about 1/2 inch uncovered around the edges.
- Roll steak up with the grain and tie tightly with kitchen twine in 3 spots so pesto stays inside while cooking.
- Heat a skillet with the tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, brown the rolled up steak for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and bake for about 25 minutes for medium.
- Remove steak from the skillet, transfer to a cutting board and let rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.