These cheddar bacon biscuits with rosemary are flaky, cheesy and buttery, everything a biscuit should be. The perfect dinner side.
Rustic’s a fun word isn’t it? It’s basically used to describe something resulting from laziness except it somehow manages to put a positive spin on it.
Too lazy to roll out your biscuit dough and cut out perfect circles? No problem! Just lump some dough onto the baking sheet, it’ll look rustic.
Remember the soup I had for dinner the other night? Well there was one serving left for lunch yesterday and I just couldn’t handle eating it with another pathetic piece of sliced wheat sandwich bread. Too boring.
So, I made 9 biscuits. And now I need 8 more servings of soup.
Does anyone else do this? I constantly cook/bake things when I have a small craving for something specific and totally ignore the fact that I’m going to have a million extra servings or leftovers afterwards. I’m not necessarily complaining, but it’s getting a little out of hand over here.
This is one of those rare times when I wish I had office coworkers to pawn some of this stuff off on. Or, I guess I could look at it this way and be thankful I work from home since I can wear yoga pants all day and not worry about jeans not buttoning when I eat all this stuff.
True fact: I haven’t worn jeans since coming home from Florida over a week ago. That can either be awesome or truly pathetic depending on how you look at it. I’ll let you decide.
The biscuits really need no explaining. There’s bacon, cheddar, rosemary and obviously, butter. If you need convincing with that list, I’m really not sure we can be friends.
Rustic, lazy, whatever. They’re delicious. Find
some leftover soup an excuse to make them.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 slices of cooked, crispy bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar + extra for topping
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and mix together.
- Add cubed butter to dry ingredients and press with a fork until the flour mixture is crumbly and well combined.
- Add rosemary, bacon and cheddar to bowl.
- Pour in milk and mix until just incorporated. Do not overmix. Use your hands to bring the dough together if necessary.
- Spoon dough out onto baking sheet in about 1/4 cup spoonfuls.
- Top biscuits with extra cheddar.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown around the edges and the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
- Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 484Total Fat: 30gCarbohydrates: 42gProtein: 13g