These protein packed polenta breakfast bowls are made with creamy coconut milk and filled with juicy ripe spring strawberries for a sweet start to the day.
Ok true life, the scene below would annoy the shit out of me. Breakfast in bed, on the couch, on a tray, basically anywhere besides the kitchen table is not my thing. Just the thought of crumbs in my bed or on my couch making the chance that I’d have to get the vacuum out to clean it up is enough to say “no, thanks” to that lovely gesture.
But, you gotta admit, the scene looks cozy and inviting.
If I were one of those people though, (or had one of those husbands that actually thought to do something like that…ha! Do those really exist?) these strawberry coconut polenta breakfast bowls would be my breakfast in bed meal of choice.
They’re simple, cozy, filling and the perfect meal for the chilly mornings of early spring.
Today, I’m back with some of my favorite healthy food blogger ladies bringing you a bunch of healthy meals in bowls.
Meals in bowls seem to be the new “kale chip” right now, everyone loves an easy bowl meal!
So here are 3 others to get you going:
LEXI’S CLEAN KITCHEN – Chicken Buddha Bowl with Spicy Mango Sauce
Throw together this flavorful chicken bowl packed with spicy broccoli, roasted sweet potato, avocado, and MORE. Top it with this light spicy mango sauce for a perfect and hearty lunch or dinner.
EATING BIRD FOOD – Broccoli Avocado Tuna Bowl
Put that can of tuna in your pantry to good use with this inexpensive, easy and flavorful Broccoli Avocado Tuna Bowl recipe.
FOOD FAITH FITNESS – DIY Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowl
Make your own healthy, gluten free and paleo-friendly Chipotle Burrito Bowl at home with this quick and easy, 30 minute recipe! It’s perfect for busy weeknights and under 450 calories!
Since those girls have your dinner covered, I figured I’d take the breakfast route.
Let’s put the oatmeal, yogurt and cereal aside though and break out the polenta today. If that word scares you, don’t let it. It’s just a fancy way of saying cornmeal which is exactly what this recipe calls for.
I used white cornmeal (hence why these bowls look white) but yellow will work just as well. A little goes a long way, just 1/4 cup cornmeal fluffs up to a nice hearty amount that will serve 2 people.
Pick your favorite protein powder (I use and love SFH vanilla whey every day for my workout shake and it tastes just as good in these polenta breakfast bowls) and add it in for a protein packed bowl of strawberry goodness to start the day.
Love this Strawberry Coconut Polenta Breakfast Bowls recipe?
- 2/3 cup full fat coconut milk from a can
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sweetener of choice (agave, maple syrup or honey)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup cornmeal (white or yellow, I used white)
- 1 scoop (25g protein) vanilla protein powder (I use this brand)
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Combine coconut milk, water, sweetener, chia seeds, vanilla bean paste and sea salt in a small sauce pot over medium heat.
- Once simmering, add cornmeal and protein powder, turn heat to low and whisk constantly until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add strawberries, stir to combine then spoon into serving bowls.
- Top with sliced almonds and a few extra strawberries, serve hot.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 183.95 Total Fat: 5.97g Carbohydrates: 31.97g Protein: 5.75g